Printing in FreeBSD

Lately I've been contemplating on nuking my macOS partition and using FreeBSD exclusively for the foreseeable future, but one thing I need a decent printing experience.

I'm wondering a few things;

- How does one confirm driver support for my printer? (Canon MG5220)
- Any recommended printer management utilities?, print/scan utilities? (I'm using FluxBox, if that means anything)
- What is your over all experience with printing/scanning with FreeBSD?
- Are there any gotchas I should be aware of? App combat. issues, etc?
- Also, how is WiFI printing in FreeBSD?

Thanks.

Lately I've been contemplating on nuking my macOS partition and using FreeBSD exclusively for the foreseeable future, but one thing I need a decent printing experience.

I'm wondering a few things;

- How does one confirm driver support for my printer? (Canon MG5220)
- Any recommended printer management utilities?, print/scan utilities? (I'm using FluxBox, if that means anything)
- What is your over all experience with printing/scanning with FreeBSD?
- Are there any gotchas I should be aware of? App combat. issues, etc?
- Also, how is WiFI printing in FreeBSD?

Thanks.

There is a section of the handbook on printing. I red it, it is very good. Read it and you will know how the printing system works. You also can establish if your printer works with decent probability.

Scanning, i don't know, my office printer puts scans in a shared filesystem. Another, in other office, sends scans via mail.

bye
n

Cups works for me. I use the same ppd file that is used on a Mac for a Kyocera at work. At home, with a Samsung, I got the ppd from a Linux install and just pointed the printer dialog to said file when setting up.
Scanning also works without problem--for that particular printer, the ArchLinux wiki had the information I needed. Cups will often automagically find the printer if it's on your network. The xsane program may be able to find it without you doing anything--it seems to be a fairly old printer, so there's a good chance. Normally, I'm not a fan of gui tools, but printing and scanning are things I do very occasionally but need them to work when I need them, and in this, case, CUPS has done a decent job for me. For scanning, you can also try, if you've installed xsane, scanimage -L which will let you know if the device was found.

Cups works for me. I use the same ppd file that is used on a Mac for a Kyocera at work. At home, with a Samsung, I got the ppd from a Linux install and just pointed the printer dialog to said file when setting up.
Scanning also works without problem--for that particular printer, the ArchLinux wiki had the information I needed. Cups will often automagically find the printer if it's on your network. The xsane program may be able to find it without you doing anything--it seems to be a fairly old printer, so there's a good chance. Normally, I'm not a fan of gui tools, but printing and scanning are things I do very occasionally but need them to work when I need them, and in this, case, CUPS has done a decent job for me. For scanning, you can also try, if you've installed xsane, scanimage -L which will let you know if the device was found.

Thanks a lot. This is what I was looking for.

I would not be as optimistic.
These appear to be gdi printers.
OpenPrinting
Canon provides binary drivers for MacOs/Windows and maybe Linux. At best, you can try the linux binary with Linux emulation.

Generally it's a good idea to avoid Canon as they're not helpful to us. Any postscript printer is good though. I print with lpd and that's about as simple as it gets, but really all you need. Warren has the best page about lpd printing.

Generally it's a good idea to avoid Canon as they're not helpful to us. Any postscript printer is good though. I print with lpd and that's about as simple as it gets, but really all you need. Warren has the best page about lpd printing.

That's all that I have at the moment; so I gotta work with it. I just can't justify spending more money over a driver issue; especially if I don't have to. I'll take a look at what others have suggested here.

I print with lpd and that's about as simple as it gets, but really all you need.
I thought that too, and it's what I used for 20 years, but I just gave up.
There are too many packages that have a dependency on CUPS, and those dependencies install the CUPS usurpers for lpr/lpd into /usr/local/bin.
When that happened, lpr suddenly stopped working (because CUPS was not configured, and /usr/local/bin is first in my path). So I gave up resistance and switched to CUPS.
One nice outcome is that the CUPS driver for my old HP4050n takes all forms of modern postscript and automatically converts it to a postscript level that the printer can manage.
So I have to reluctantly admit that CUPS is better than what I used to have.

There are too many packages that have a dependency on CUPS, ...
I think that's only true if you run a GUI. My FreeBSD machine is console (CLI) only, and runs very happily without CUPS. And it has three printers installed, ranging in age form 1 year old (color double-sided laser) to 25 years old (single-sided laser).

The only problem is this: I have not configured lpr queues for printing documents locally. For text files it works; for postscript/pdf/... files, it does not. I know it can be done, but I just haven't felt the urge to invest the hour that it would take. It's not a problem: the FreeBSD machine shares its file system with various GUI machines (typicall Macs), and I can print ps/pdf/... files from there.

I think that's only true if you run a GUI.
Possibly. I don't know why the System V interface was not made standard, and the lpr/lpd interface an extra (completely optional) package on *BSD systems. That would have broken nothing.
It's pretty invasive.
Code:
[ritz.138] $ grep cups-2.2.12 /usr/ports/INDEX-11 | wc -l

Possibly. I don't know why the System V interface was not made standard, ...
Because lpd/lpr has been the BSD printing system since the 80s. CUPS showed up in the late 90s on Linux. In my memory it was mostly a reaction to the difficulty of installing device-specific drivers in the existing (SysV lp and BSD lpr) solutions.

I have had good luck with Xerox printers (phaser 3260) on FreeBSD but I use CUPS, mainly because it is a desktop and is easy. I did specifically buy my printer based on the fact it does PCL/postscript printing because I knew it wouldn't use those OS specific binaries, even though I print through CUPS...

I think that's only true if you run a GUI. My FreeBSD machine is console (CLI) only, and runs very happily without CUPS. And it has three printers installed, ranging in age form 1 year old (color double-sided laser) to 25 years old (single-sided laser).

The only problem is this: I have not configured lpr queues for printing documents locally. For text files it works; for postscript/pdf/... files, it does not. I know it can be done, but I just haven't felt the urge to invest the hour that it would take. It's not a problem: the FreeBSD machine shares its file system with various GUI machines (typicall Macs), and I can print ps/pdf/... files from there.

DWM master race

Because lpd/lpr has been the BSD printing system since the 80s. CUPS showed up in the late 90s on Linux. In my memory it was mostly a reaction to the difficulty of installing device-specific drivers in the existing (SysV lp and BSD lpr) solutions.
You misunderstand what I meant, which was that the BSD port of CUPS should have provided the System V commands only by default, thus occupying an otherwise unused command line space, and avoiding conflict with the well established BSD lpr/lpd commands.

This often fine to run a GUI without having CUPS installed tweaking ports OPTIONS. I don't have it installed; however that also probably depends of what you use. I suppose DEs like Gnome should make it hard to remove CUPS.

Btw, CUPS was designed for corporate (complex installation) use but some people thought that was a good idea to depends on it for everything printing, probably because they think CUPS is cool - like many others decisions are made these days.

You misunderstand what I meant, which was that the BSD port of CUPS should have provided the System V commands only by default, thus occupying an otherwise unused command line space, and avoiding conflict with the well established BSD lpr/lpd commands.
Oh, that seems to make sense. Sorry about that.

Which printer and scanner brand is the most helpful / friendly when it comes to open-source drivers? What is the Nvidia of printers so to speak.

Which printer and scanner brand is the most helpful / friendly when it comes to open-source drivers? What is the Nvidia of printers so to speak.
IMHO, the most open source friendly printer/scanner is to buy separate units. For printers choose one that supports PostScript or one of the drivers in print/ghostscript. For a scanner, look for supported models in graphics/sane-backends.

If you get an all-in-one, only HP (print/hplip) provides a usb driver that can handle both the printer and the scanner.

My Xerox Phaser 3260 just works. I do have to use the Phaser 3161n (?) driver from print/gutenprint, but after that it just works. Printer is on my network. Cost of the printer was around $80 US and replacement toner is around $50-60 US, which a little expensive but what do you do: any more printers are incredibly cheap. Prints duplex and works well. My Macbook prints to it as a "postscript" printer and did not require any driver install.

Back