Precursor to MarkDown and ReStructuredText

Over on LinkedIn, I am in a discussion about MarkDown, and ReStructuredText, and that sort of thing (including which is better, unfortunately).

I am trying to remember an old Unix program I ran into long ago that predates them. It was probably even before the Internet was popular. It worked kind of like MarkDown, where you would indent a space to start a new paragraph, and indent a bunch of spaces to center something, and that sort of thing.

It was a front end to troff (or perhaps nroff), and it was designed to let secretaries type memos and such in a way that was similar to the typewriters they were used to, without having to learn dot commands.

I thought it might be part of the Unix System V Documentor's Workbench (http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/att/un..._V_Documentors_Workbench_Users_Guide_1989.pdf), but that does not seem to be the case. I may have read about it in a "Communications of the ACM" article.

Do any of you who were using Unix back in the day remember this program?

May be ask on the TUHS mailing list?
I was not aware of TUHS, but it looks pretty exciting (at least for those who are interested in the history of computing). I have just sent Mr. Toomey a subscription request. (Apparently they no longer do automatic subscriptions because of too many spammers.)

Thank you for introducing me to them!

I am trying to remember an old Unix program I ran into long ago that predates them. It was probably even before the Internet was popular. It worked kind of like MarkDown, where you would indent a space to start a new paragraph, and indent a bunch of spaces to center something, and that sort of thing.
This would be a fairly simple awk program.

Back