Solved Poudriere Bulk Hangs sporadically - sleepq_wait_signal

Amzo

When trying to build packages with poudriere, the builds hang every few minutes for a few minutes with the follow:

Code:
load: 1.43  cmd: sh 66112 [nanslp] 432.47r 0.13u 0.34s 0% 3728k
mi_switch+0xc1 sleepq_catch_signals+0x2e6 sleepq_timedwait_sig+0x12 _sleep+0x199 kern_clock_nanosleep+0x1e1 sys_nano
sleep+0x3b amd64_syscall+0x10c fast_syscall_common+0xf8

I currently have FreeBSD 13 with the latest patches installed and running poudriere with zfs.

I have tried running poudriere with:

Code:
PARALLEL_JOBS=1

As well as setting make_jobs to 1. The issue still persists.

I am using a Ryzen 2700x with 32Gb of memory and an SSD.

Alain De Vos

Daemon

Related to you CPU ?.
I've got,
Code:
CPUTYPE?=core-avx-i
Not one problem to note.
make.conf
Code:
MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER=20
Poudriere.conf
Code:
PARALLEL_JOBS=9
PREPARE_PARALLEL_JOBS=40

OP
Amzo

Amzo

Yeah, I came across that post, they were causing IO issues with their custom logging. My issue is system wide, even using 12.2, 11.4, 13.0 and 14-current all had the same issue on my machine.

OP
Amzo

Amzo

Related to you CPU ?.

I have a Ryzen 2700x and people have reported issues with Ryzen on FreeBSD. The system performs fine on Windows and Linux.

Only other thing I can think of is ZFS issue. Though I have an SSD and 32GB of DDR4 memory.

Alain De Vos

Daemon

I do it in 8GB memory,
Code:
zpool status -v

OP
Amzo

Amzo

I'm running a fresh install on UFS, since the install was out of the box install. I don't mind trying UFS to see if the same performance issue persists, but it narrows it down from ZFS.

OP
Amzo

Amzo

Well with UFS when starting the builtd poudriere it eventually returns

Code:
mkdir failed: device not configured
and running any command will return:

Code:
/bin/sh: vi: Input/Output error

S.M.A.R.T returns status passed, but will do a thorough hdd check, looks like it could be the culprit.

OP
Amzo

Amzo

Seems that it was a hard drive issue. The problem got progressively worse, while S.M.A.R.T still reports everything is okay.

I switched to a new samsung SSD, and installed FreeBSD with UFS on that. Then used a secondary 1TB drive with ZFS for package building and storing packages with poudriere. This was to avoid heavy disk I/O on the drive with the OS while building and packaging. Everything seems to be working fine so far, but will monitor it to see if the problem creeps back in.