Positioning GNOME Windows

I use FreeBSD-10.0 GNOME desktop, with plans to by-pass this hosting system to jails when it’s time to go on-line. Under my GNOME hosting desktop will be my private world to get things done without fear of being spied upon or hacked. The goal is, when I am done, I would welcome the best of hackers to my jail(s), if they dare!

But that is not the question ... This is; under GNOME desktop, the Terminal and gedit applications will open up and display its windows beginning at the top and left of the monitor screen. I need FreeBSD-GNOME to open up these windows anywhere I please, such as to the right, or the middle of the screen. Is there a FreeBSD port that will handle this and could someone please include how I would manually do this using gconf-editor? If so, what is some possible setting to use under this XML file. Please include the Full path name of this XML file because I’m not sure what is correct use

I've never used it myself but x11-wm/devilspie should allow you to move windows around. Mind you it may not work with every application. Some applications use their own method of placement.

Back