portupgrade installation error: ruby25-bdb-0.6.6_5 is marked as broken: does not build with Ruby 2.5

Hello,
On a new FreeBSD 12 system I want to install
/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
but get an error:
Code:
===>  Staging for portupgrade-2.4.16,2
===>   portupgrade-2.4.16,2 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/ruby25 - found
===>   portupgrade-2.4.16,2 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/2.5/amd64-freebsd12/bdb.so - not found
===>  ruby25-bdb-0.6.6_5 is marked as broken: does not build with Ruby 2.5.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/databases/ruby-bdb
I had installed the latest version of ruby before from the ports.

What can I do now? Thanx for your help

ok, I will step on version back.
I see in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk

# Possible values: 2.3, 2.4, 2.5
RUBY_DEFAULT?= 2.4
so I think the possible value could also be 2.5, but it isn't it.

thanks for your advice.

Yes, you can change the default. But that's not going to help, the port is still going to fail to build with Ruby 2.5. There are probably a few other Ruby modules that don't work with 2.5 yet. Those need to be fixed upstream.

ok, I will step on version back.
I see in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk

# Possible values: 2.3, 2.4, 2.5
RUBY_DEFAULT?= 2.4
so I think the possible value could also be 2.5, but it isn't it.

thanks for your advice.

Do you need system/root access to Ruby version 2.5? If not and if you need a different version for user level development, would you be open to installing Ruby a different way so as not to clobber the system default? Most of my Ruby development requires non-root user level permissions, so I strictly have been using rbenv, and follow the instructions for the optional ruby-build. That way the system/root can maintain its default without bothering my development.

Just a thought I hope that helps, but I understand it might conflict with your usecase or workflow.

Back