Solved portupgrade -Ca asking ALL ports

Hi there.

Could you please answer me, why sudo portupgrade -Ca is asking me to upgrade ALL ports, even those that are already up to date? For example after using
Code:
sudo portversion -L "="
chromium <
I'm not using the -f key for reinstalling packages.

Thanks.

You may not force the upgrade of packages using -f but you are using the --force-config option which seems to enforce certain things as well. Added up with -a which basically means "do this with all installed packages" and you basically got your answer.

In the end my advice would be to stop using portupgrade and instead use ports-mgmt/portmaster. It provides the same functionality, maybe even better, with much less overhead (portmaster is a shell script which fully utilizes the already present package management tools whereas portupgrade fully depends on Ruby).

ShelLuser said:
You may not force the upgrade of packages using -f but you are using the --force-config option which seems to enforce certain things as well. Added up with -a which basically means "do this with all installed packages" and you basically got your answer.

In the end my advice would be to stop using portupgrade and instead use ports-mgmt/portmaster. It provides the same functionality, maybe even better, with much less overhead (portmaster is a shell script which fully utilizes the already present package management tools whereas portupgrade fully depends on Ruby).

Look: I'm not --force to upgrade, but event withouth after
Code:
portupgrade -Ca
it asking me for config full depends of all packages, but out of date only chromium. I am scared, few weeks ago me used the same script and waiting for 2 days it ends.

kAldown said:
Look: I'm not --force to upgrade, but event withouth after portupgrade -Ca it asking me for config full depends of all packages, but out of date only chromium.
I took the liberty of changing [code] to [cmd] to enhance the command.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here, but you're overlooking the fact that -C is a shortcut for --force-config. Check the portupgrade(1) manualpage and see for yourself.

So what you're basically doing, as I already mentioned above, is tell the system that you wish you configure all the installed packages you have. That's why you get the behaviour you described.

But to try and turn this thread into something a bit more useful why not tell us what it is you're trying to do here? That way we might be able to help you do it, because the command you're using now isn't very useful.

Also, it would help if we knew the version of FreeBSD you are running, if you are using pkgng, when was the last time you synced your ports tree and with what method.

There are some recent changes in how the options are saved under /var/db/ports. The old method (that was broken and braindead IMHO because of high possibility of collisions in PORTNAMEs) was to use just the PORTNAME like /var/db/ports/PORTNAME/options (for example /var/db/ports/perl/options). Now the full path is /var/db/ports/CATEGORY_PKGNAME/options (the example becomes /var/db/ports/lang_perl5.16/options). Not all of these changes are automatically updated to the new format so you might get prompted for options for ports that you had already configured with make config.

Edit: Well yes, the -C flag for portupgrade equals --force-config that in turn means "run make config for all targets".

Code:
     -C
     --force-config	    Run ``make config'' before everything for all
			    tasks.

Back