portsnap - list of files going to update

Have a question about portsnap. Usually when updating ports tree i do: `portsnap fetch` and they `portsnap update`.
Now question is: it is possible to see which exactly ports will be updated after i do 'fetch' but before updating?

I need this because i wait for updating subversion, but do not want to update tree every time to avoid version errors.

Portsnap doesn't have a 'dry run' option. I guess you could backup-copy /usr/ports, run portsnap update, and diff /usr/ports with its backup copy and revert changes you don't want by copying the old port directory back. It does sound quite labour-intensive, though, because you'll likely have to edit the INDEX-[7|8] file as well to reflect correct versions in this ports tree.

Ok i make a path to portsnap, implementing this function. Where i should send the diffs? (Or what i must to do now to commit this?)

it is possible to see which exactly ports will be updated after i do 'fetch' but before updating?
No. But you can see which ports will be updates after you run update...with pkg_version:
Code:
pkg_version -l '<'
You can always update selected packages. Instead of whole tree.

Maybe another option could be making a copy of /etc/portsnap.conf, changing the WORKDIR and PORTSDIR variables in it to create a "preview" version.
Then you can update the real ports tree and portsnap db as usual, or tell portsnap to fetch and update the preview copy using the -f option.

killasmurf86 said:
send it to maintainer
Code:
$ cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster
$ make maintainer
It is correct i should send it to portmaster's maintainer? portsnap is in base system source tree /usr/src/usr.sbin/

Thanks all, now i only have question how to send my patch =)

Portsnap is maintained by Colin Percival.
Portmaster is maintained by Doug Barton.

There's no connection between the two.

The one who mentioned portmaster did so in error. Ignore that suggestion. :)

Reading the man page for portsnap should provide contact details.

Back