Ports Quarterly Branch Changes

Last edited:
I am surprised any new port would be retroactively added to Quarterly. Unless it was needed for another ports security vuln fix.
Smells like a feature to me.

Cavaet:
-You could look at it and say: How does this affect me personally? Does this spoil the package system?

When I first found out that ports from Quarterly were updated I was internally appalled.
How could a stable branch be changing like that?
I have better things to worry about though.

I am surprised any new port would be retroactively added to Quarterly. Unless it was needed for another ports security vuln fix.
Smells like a feature to me.

Cavaet:
-You could look at it and say: How does this affect me personally? Does this spoil the package system?

When I first found out that ports from Quarterly were updated I was internally appalled.
How could a stable branch be changing like that?
I have better things to worry about though.
What's the point of having a "stable" branch if random stuff from unstable is going to get merged into it willy-nilly? Might as well use HEAD and get used to breakage.

That was my initial thought too, but this changed my mind

What's the point of having a "stable" branch if random stuff from unstable is going to get merged into it willy-nilly?
Wrong kind of 'stable' in this context. The quarterly branch has nothing to do with its fitness to run, the 'stable' in this context refers to the number of changes. Quarterly is branched off from HEAD every three months. Regards of the state of HEAD at that time.

Wrong kind of 'stable' in this context. The quarterly branch has nothing to do with its fitness to run, the 'stable' in this context refers to the number of changes. Quarterly is branched off from HEAD every three months. Regards of the state of HEAD at that time.
"Predictable and stable" is straight out of the description of the branch from the wiki:

The complaint makes sense until you realize that you would never get any new ports or features into quarterly if you followed those rules. So, all the new stuff should get dropped on the quarter change and only "stable" fixes get patched into it until the next quarter change (I assume, from SirDice's description).

Any new ports would be picked up when a new quarterly branch is cut. There isn't a single quarterly branch that gets updated, a new quarterly branch is cut from head every quarter, presumably.

a new quarterly branch is cut from head every quarter, presumably.
A new quarterly is almost there (early April), you can check it yourself. Just compare HEAD with 2021Q2 when it's been branched off.

Back