Portion of what I'm typing gets blocked

I remember this happening in the past and it seems to be happening again. When I reach the lower right of the post reply box, I find that the post reply icon is blocking what I'm typing.
I have only tried on one machine, using chromium, and haven't tried on any other machines or browsers. I haven't seen anyone else mention it, and it's only a minor annoyance, but I am wondering if I'm the only one. I will try on other browsers and machines, but right now, I don't see anymore threads to which I feel I could contribute.

Doesn't happen for me. But in the bottom right corner of the reply window is a small white box that says "Words: 0", and blocks text from being visible. I think the layout code is less than perfect right now. I'm using Chrome on MacOS.

I see the "Words: 0" box also. It blocks what I'm writing, but the "post reply" box does not. I'm using Firefox on FreeBSD/xfce

FF86 on FreeBSD12.2 here.
I never have seen what you describe; the <post reply> button and the word counter don't block anything.
So this issue seems not to affect Firefox.

But what I find stupid is that when I try a smilie by entering : and some keyword, the list that pops up is visible only partly, as it extends below the lower end of the page.
So one sees and can choose only a part of the smilies "displayed".
Is this also with other browsers, or FF specific issue?

FF86 on FreeBSD12.2 here.
I never have seen what you describe; the <post reply> button and the word counter don't block anything.
Like ralphbsz, I can affirm that the word counter occasionally hides, but does not block, what I type. I'm using www/falkon & x11-fm/konqueror; WebKit engine in both.
But what I find stupid is that when I try a smilie by entering : and some keyword, the list that pops up is visible only partly, as it extends below the lower end of the page. So one sees and can choose only a part of the smilies "displayed". Is this also with other browsers, or FF specific issue?
No list of smileys pops up with my browsers when I type a colon. Maybe just scroll up with the mouse to see the whole list?

With regards to the Word/Character counter, there was an option in the admin panel to set it to 'off', 'words', 'characters' and 'user defined'. With user defined the option can be set in your user preferences. But unfortunately there's no user 'off' option, you can only switch between character and word counter. So I just turned it off globally.

It didn't 'block' for me, as in prevented me from typing, but it got rendered on top of the text, so you couldn't see what you were typing.

Is that better now?

The counter was so faint and weak-contrasted, only noticeable if I really looked at it.
So I didn't care about it.
But what I like is that the vertical bar that was introduced by it is now gone. Less wasted screen space 👍

I wanted to do a test post to see if it's fixed, but the trouble is (which I didn't realize before) is that the post has to be long enough to get to the bottom of the input box. Regardless, SirDice, I thank you for the help.

I don't know whether it is related to the changes made when removing that word count widget.
But since then I notice very annoying jank in the reply field, which I cannot remember having noticed before.

The icon bar for text formatting either appears a moment after displaying the text, causing the text to jank down.
This causes, for example, placing the cursor a few lines above the place in the text where one actually clicked.

Or the icon bar appears only after one clicked into text entry widget. Also annoying.

I guess that is some flaw in the DOM manipulation by the javascript doing the reply handling.
But it could also be some CSS issue.

Any chance this can be fixed?

Just to add, the former type of jank happens when I quote some post.
The latter type of jank happens when I click into the "reply" text entry widget, without quoting.

It's the plugin that was previously disabled. Seems the new version was finally released and is now enabled again. As it's a .0 version I assume there might still be some kinks to work out, even though it had been in beta status for ages.

Indeed, I installed the new version a few days ago, but apparently it has some bugs still, we will need to wait for future updates and hopefully it will get better.

Back