porting reposilite - is svn still the way to go?

Hi,

I'm in the process of porting reposilite, a lightweight maven repository server and maven proxy. While I have worked with ports some time ago, I am not sure if svn is still the way to go. Somehow I'm sure to have read that it has been superseded by git, but unfortunately I fail to find information on this. And even worse, I am also somehow sure that the Porters Handbook is not up to date in that regards.

... but who knows, maybe I am just getting old and I am imagining things :)

Can someone please enlighten me, if it is svn or git, and, if happens to be git, if the procedures to submit a new port have changed with regards to the Porters Handbook.

Thanks.

Hello,

git will now be the way to go.

It is also still possible to send in svn diffs but you will be asked nicely to go with git.

The procedures to submit a new port have not changed, only the commands that do you need to use to create a diff.

I do using the following commands:

To create a diff of only changes: git diff > /usr/home/$USER/updatedport.diff

To add new files to your local repo: git add /usr/ports/desktop/newport/*

To create a diff of your new added files: git diff --staged > /usr/home/$USER/newport.diff

To create a diff of both in one: git diff --staged > /usr/home/$USER/newport.diff && git diff >> /usr/home/$USER/newport.diff

Uhm....
Why not just do git diff --cached > /path/to/my/patchfile-with-all-changes.patch if you've used git add as it will include all changes? :)

I know enough to know that git is the way to go these days.

I am a little surprised that OP was not finding info to point to that - just regular visits to freebsd.org and looking for package info on the official site should have tipped OP off... I think FreeBSD completed a migration to git just earlier this year.

Before 2007, svn was the hot versioning system that every programmer was supposed to know. But now it's git... there's github, gitlab, and nearly every well-known Open Source project out there uses git.

Google is your friend. There's also the search function at top of most pages.
there is no search function at the top of the split porter's book sections (and any other split freebsd book). And yes, obviously google is your friend, as well as my cat, thanks for letting me know.

there is no search function at the top of the split porter's book sections (and any other split freebsd book). And yes, obviously google is your friend, as well as my cat, thanks for letting me know.
Umm... have you tried Ctrl-F? That helps when you have split sections that are too long to scroll. I use that in the User Handbook all the time, Porter's handbook should be similar.

Back