Port Snap & Snap-Store to FreeBSD

No.

If you want software directly installable on FreeBSD, create ports.
If you want to run stuff "isolated", use jails.

This is Linux-only stuff (IMHO very questionable, instead of doing correct dependency management, let's just "containerize" everything), that won't work on FreeBSD anyways, and also doesn't really make sense.

I second the OP's demand, but would also like to have Flatpack and AppImage to run on FreeBSD. Besides the usual binary packages, of course. Also LXD and Docker, while we're at it. After all, FreeBSD is about choice, so we should work hard to incorporate all of this. This would make FreeBSD also more attractive to newcomers. And don't get me started about the missing Desktop-Installer … ! –

Sorry for the sarcasm, could not resist. 🤷

dll hell or in unix terms .so & .a hell. Mixing different versions of the same library on one host is in my opinion a bad idea.
[And that is what flatpak,snap,appimage is doing]

is this supposed to be the next iteration of "we don't have real containers and we want/need to ship outdated and broken dependencies with that thing that 'works on my laptop'"?

where do linux folks want to end up with such stuff? 'less' being shipped as an "app", 'written' in some hip new framework that is an abstraction layer of that previous new framework, coming in a handy 400MB image with all the odd and obsolete dependencies someone found referenced in old stack overflow answers? I thought that kind of 'software design' was purely an android thing...

I don't think that would be possible. If you put the Linux kernel in BSD it wouldn't be BSD it would be Linux. And if you put the BSD kernel in a Linux based system it would be a BSD. ...um...yeah. lol

we should port GNOME, and with it, systemd

in fact we should also enforce systemd on everyone and make Adwaita the only usable theme (everything else will break in future because customisation and freedom is evil)

rraj : Forums are not a place to request that somebody port your favorite software from Linux to FreeBSD. We can point you to available alternatives that are known to work on FreeBSD, and help you learn how stuff works on FreeBSD. Yeah, it's different from Linux.

FWIW, both Linux and BSD's suffer from the same dependency hell, and it's impossible to upgrade stuff like KDE/GNOME and other large software stacks without a complete reinstall of the entire system. I left Linux because distros make drastic changes at the drop of a hat ( ifconfig on FreeBSD vs ip on Linux is an example I like to use), and re-learning just the basics every time I try to upgrade one single component like LibreOffice - that got to be too much.

Yeah, FreeBSD's wifi support is crappy. Yeah, it also runs nearly everything that Linux does - KDE/GNOME/LibreOffice/Apache/CUPS/etc. Yeah, the dependency hell is something you can't escape from, either on Linux or BSD.

In both camps (Linux and BSD), it's just bad manners to ask a dev to create a package of your favorite software "But it works elsewhere, why don't you do the work for me?". In both camps, making software work is an unpaid volunteer effort. In both camps, you're expected to roll up your sleeves, learn to write the code yourself, and to make sure you have something you're proud to share. In both camps, you can ask for help to follow that playbook - but no, you can't ask someone else to follow the playbook for you.

It's a Canonical product! I was a little anxious about the directness that people said or joked of saying no. However, that's a product line which I'm not a fan of.

From https://snapcraft.io/docs:
Snaps are Linux app packages for desktop, cloud and IoT that are simple to install, secure, cross-platform, and dependency-free.
Snaps help desktop users effortlessly install and run apps like Spotify or Slack.
I believe anything with such needs to be forked from Ports or kept in its own sub-ports, done by some other organization, and not make a mess of this Ports tree. Or run from a Linux environment in a jail (like Bastille) if possible. I'm glad that another forum discussion about this has been linked to.

Back