Solved Port patch request wait time

I submitted a patch to uprev net/kamailio to the latest upstream version, and I was wondering how long on average one should wait for a response.

It's only been about 2 weeks since I submitted it. But I was wondering how long I should I expect this to take and whether I had missed out some necessary procedure.

For reference, here is the ticket: PR 227677

If the port has a maintainer, what seems to be the case, the patch cannot be committed without approbation of the maintainer during the first two weeks (but for exceptions). After that, the maintainer time-out can be applied.

Then you have another problem: the lack of devs, I think there are a few hundreds (usually working on their free time) to take care of the more than 34K ports in the tree.

So, it can be commited (assuming everything is OK) like in minutes to months. What most people do is to ask for "committer needed" in the freebsd-ports mail list or IRC #freebsd-ports.

Btw, a quick look and I see you need to remove "PORTREVISION=1", there is no need for that since you bring a patch for a new version. ;)

Many thanks for the advice and reviewing the patch, very much appreciated.

Based on your advice, I've removed the revision variable. Since an even newer upstream has been released since I submitted the original patch, I re-baselined to the latest upstream.

I've also posted a message on the freebsd-ports mailing list to request a committer: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2018-May/113302.html

I totally get that the whole operation is reliant on people giving up their free time to keep the ship in shape - I'm just trying to contribute as much as I can to help others out.

After having posted to the freebsd-ports mailing list, the ticket was picked up almost immediately by the maintainer. Many thanks for the tip.

Back