Port makefile: Use local copy of upstream source

jbo@

Developer
While developing the devel/qschematic port I had to perform some debugging on the upstream build system. At first, I created a separate branch in the upstream repository and used that branch in the port Makefile. However, I quickly determined that this is not a sustainable workflow so I started looking for better solutions.

My goal was to use a local copy of the upstream source rather than having the port Makefile fetching a modified version each time. As it turns out, this can be achieved easily by using a custom do-extract step in the port Makefile:
Code:
do-extract:
    ${MKDIR} ${WRKSRC};
    cp -r ./qschematic/* ${WRKSRC}
In the do-extract step we're first creating the ${WRKSRC} directory and then copy the upstream source from a local directory (in the example above from ./qscheamtic).

This allows modifying upstream code and running builds/tests without having to commit & push changes to a remote repository.
The nifty part here is that we don't have to worry about checkums passing because the ports framework is still fetching the source from upstream and performs the checkum checks on the fetched content. We just don't extract the fetched source but copy our local copy afterwards.

I've also posted this information on my blog: https://blog.insane.engineer/post/freebsd_simple_hosting

Back