Port for V Language

correct:
Code:
Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.                                                                                                                                                                         
kill () at kill.S:4                                                                                                                                                                                               
4       kill.S: No such file or directory.                                                                                                                                                                       
(gdb) where                                                                                                                                                                                                       
#0  kill () at kill.S:4                                                                                                                                                                                           
#1  0x00000008004207f0 in __fail (msg=<optimized out>) at /usr/src/lib/libc/secure/stack_protector.c:128                                                                                                         
#2  0x0000000800420760 in __stack_chk_fail () at /usr/src/lib/libc/secure/stack_protector.c:135

Recompile without SSP:
Code:
Index: lang/v/Makefile
===================================================================
--- lang/v/Makefile     (revision 526347)
+++ lang/v/Makefile     (working copy)
@@ -21,6 +21,8 @@
 GH_TUPLE=      vlang:vc:0.1.20:vc/vc
 USE_GITHUB=    yes

+WITHOUT_SSP=   yes
+
 do-build:
        ${CC} ${CFLAGS} ${LDFLAGS} ${WRKSRC}/vc/v.c -o ${WRKSRC}/v

Code:
/usr/ports/lang/v/work/stage/usr/local/bin/v
vlib not found. It should be next to the V executable.
Go to https://vlang.io to install V.

I copied the 'v' binary and associated 'vlib' folder to my home directory and ran them from there.

Now all I get is this:

C-like:
pub fn (a array) free() {
  ^                     
/redacted/vlib/builtin/array.v:307:3: bad attribute usage

Try the attached patch. You probably need to install the port to get past the error message (I've never used v)

Attachments

• lang_v.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 192
This branch creates on my pc:
gmake
clang src/main.cpp -Wno-switch -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-tautological-constant-out-of-range-compare -Wno-tautological-compare -Wno-macro-redefined -std=c++11 -g -pthread -ldl -lm -lstdc++ -o odin
./odin run examples/demo/demo.odin
/usr/home/x/odin_freebsd/Odin-freebsd/core/runtime/core.odin(6:1) Syntax Error: Expected a directory for a package, got a file: core:eek:s
gmake: *** [Makefile:15: demo] Error 1
{My /etc/make.conf is empty}

I tried odin on Linux but it does not look very spectacular.
Then there is also the "haxe" language and "kit" language.
I wonder which language will survive ...
I find "pony" and "zig" promising.

These days, developers in search for fame and glory create either a language or a framework. Not only do these developers tend to copy-paste the syntax from their predecessors, but their web sites are also almost identical, in particular their language's objectives and advantages.

University teachers in search for additional revenue do the same: they create a language, write a book on it and create all their lectures and labs with it...

No doubt github is full of zombie languages and you can spend your life evaluating them. Even more if you have no concrete and immediate need to provide you with evaluation criteria...

That said, creating a language is fun, interesting and not very difficult, and so is creating its run-time library. Optimizing an interpreter or compiler is another story, but very few languages (or compiler suites) have grown to a point they had to take that challenge.

I was looking which languages I could use to write something like a small gnumeric application, like excel sortable and scrollable.
Once you need a GUI , with something scrollable, the number of possible languages reduces enormously.

Back