Poor Performance in 12.1-RELEASE with VMXNET 3 and ESXi 6.0.0

It took me a while to track this down but I believe there is a problem that is specific to this combination.
  • 12.1-RELEASE (amd64)
  • VMware ESXi, 6.0.0, 9313334
  • Virtual Adapter Type: VMXNET 3
The underlying host hardware are Lenovo/IBM System x3650 M3 [7945AC1] and System x3550 M2 [7946AC1]. Maybe it's related, but I do not have a way of testing it on other hardware.

When deploying/upgrading a FreeBSD guest using the above combo, the network throughput is (the best I can describe it)... abysmal. Going as low as just a few bps. If I migrate the virtual machine to an ESXi 6.5.0 host, the network performance returns to reasonable/normal levels. If I change the network interface type to Intel E1000, the network performance returns to reasonable/normal levels. If I take a 12.0 or 11.3 machine using VMXNET 3 and upgrade it to 12.1, the same problem occurs.

I do not see any kernel messages on the console, nor in the system logs. I do not notice anything out of the ordinary during boot up.

What can I do to help track down the root of the problem, what should I dig into in order to post a meaningful bug report that will (hopefully) lead to a solution.

Unfortunately I had the same problem ... ping times from 4000-7000ms after a while of running. I never found out how to resolve it. I was in a lucky situation and could dump all the vmware stuff. However, ESXi 6.0 is end of life in 2 days, so maybe that could be a good argument to upgrade to 6.5?

Thanks all, at least I now know it's a known issue.

tuaris, upgrade to ESXi 6.5 or newer and it will solve your issue.
I had a same issue. Your can read more in this thread

Yes, this time I can upgrade to 6.5 since the CPU's in the machines are still supported (6.7 and beyond would require new hardware). VMWare has a nasty habit of locking out fairly modern hardware too quickly.

I was in a lucky situation and could dump all the vmware stuff.

I look forward to when I can use Bhyve in production. Until then I'm dependent on ESXi.

Back