Please create a separate amd64 forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
Considering the differences, I believe it would be a good idea to create an amd64
Forum, which also allowed for the creation of sub forums || catagories.

Please consider this an official request to do so.

Thank you for all your time and consideration in this matter.

This seems like a bad idea. What are the differences between AMD64 FreeBSD and i386 FreeBSD?

There are probably more differences with MIPS or ARM architectures.

aragon said:
This seems like a bad idea. What are the differences between AMD64 FreeBSD and i386 FreeBSD?
Quite a few differences - install the i386 FreeBSD on amd64 hardware for a good lesson
on what differences you might experience. I inadvertently shoved the i386 install DVD
into my new AMD to install FreeBSD w/o realizing it, and ran into all sorts of problems.
I guess, what I'm trying to say, is that when the hardware is different, so are the
experiences, problems, and solutions.

aragon said:
There are probably more differences with MIPS or ARM architectures.
That might be true.

Thank you, aragon for taking the time to respond.

PhenomII said:
Quite a few differences - install the i386 FreeBSD on amd64 hardware for a good lesson on what differences you might experience.
I've been doing that for many years and can't say I've experienced any differences other than some unsupported ports.

PhenomII said:
I inadvertently shoved the i386 install DVD into my new AMD to install FreeBSD w/o realizing it, and ran into all sorts of problems.
What makes you sure the problems you experienced were related to architecture? AMD CPUs are i386 and AMD64 compatible, as are Intel CPUs.

PhenomII said:
I guess, what I'm trying to say, is that when the hardware is different, so are the experiences, problems, and solutions.
Sure, but it'd be ludicrous to create forums for Asus, Gigabyte, Dell, HP, etc. too - those differences in hardware create "all sorts of problems", but it doesn't warrant dedicated forums for those brands.

I'm pretty sure if there's a whole ton of amd64 specific threads the powers that be will give it its own subforum.

Greetings, and thank you for your replies.
@aragon
Sure. I was able to install FreeBSD using the i386 DVD, but, attempting to build
a kernel w/o a cross-development env is out of the question. But GENERIC will still work
(but not w/o some differences).
On the other hand, installing from the amd64 DVD provides a completely different experience.
For example, the install works just the same as i386 until you move past FDISK &&
DISKLABEL, the choose install medium is next, when choosing CD/DVD - POOF! the install DVD
vanished - ERROR no CD/DVD found. This was NOT the case when using the i386 DVD w/same
BIOS settings && drive(s) setup. I have had several other issues that I didn't experience
when using the i386 version, that I've taken up on the @freebsd-amd64 list. But just thought
I qualify my OP with this one as an example.

@fronclynne
Does this mean that "the powers that be" don't listen to / take requests from any of the Forum members? ;)

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

P.S. I DID check the DVD against the sums to insure they matched.

If there is a specific issue you are after help with, just google site:forums.freebsd.org amd64 your_particular_issue. It's easier to find ANYTHING that way, rather than browsing for it. And as far as finding a place to put new posts, the existing forum structure works well enough. Adding in an AMD64 specific forum would create an ambiguity in the existing forum structure. e.g. If you are posting about installing on an AMD64 system, is it in the AMD64 section? Or is it in the Installing and Upgrading section? From what I have gathered with BSD so far, there should only be one possible place for something, where at all possible. Whereas with Linux (warning, caricature ahead), you devise your own standards on the fly without thought to any standards that existed before (maybe that's why ubuntuforums.org has both sections ;) ).

carlton_draught said:
If there is a specific issue you are after help with, just google site:forums.freebsd.org amd64 your_particular_issue. It's easier to find ANYTHING that way, rather than browsing for it. And as far as finding a place to put new posts, the existing forum structure works well enough. Adding in an AMD64 specific forum would create an ambiguity in the existing forum structure. e.g. If you are posting about installing on an AMD64 system, is it in the AMD64 section? Or is it in the Installing and Upgrading section? From what I have gathered with BSD so far, there should only be one possible place for something, where at all possible. Whereas with Linux (warning, caricature ahead), you devise your own standards on the fly without thought to any standards that existed before (maybe that's why ubuntuforums.org has both sections ;) ).

In all honesty, on the whole, I completely agree with you - especially the Linux part <evil grin>
As I listen to the feedback, I'm now more inclined to think that some sort of "tag" might be a better solution. Where one could/would simply "tag" a post i386/amd64 as is appropriate.
YES I know there is a "tagging system" already in place. But I was thinking of something more akin to the [SOLVED] tag that's already available. It'd make it easier to GREP(1) the forums when you're inclined to think your issue is likely to be $ARCH related.

Well, as it was in the beginning - just my thought(s) on the matter.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

put amd64 in your post titles, and wuala, no need for separate section.....
let's not complicate simple things (If you were using some kind of PowerPC, then I'd understand you, but i386 na damd64 ar bough x86 :D )

No new sub-forums without considerable traffic. Nobody's confused sofar.

Topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back