Plasma6 already in [latest]

Does anyone here know how to load into the wayland session for Plasma6? I can't log in and get a missing Qt-Shell error.

I'd imagine you still try /usr/local/bin/startplasma-wayland.sh... but I'd first verify that the script even exists, and doesn't try to start kde5 by accident...

I appreciate the log that grahamperrin provided, from it I can see that there's still a lot of work to do to clean out kde5 dependencies. The fact that there are kde5 conflicts - that makes me imagine that properly packaging kde6 for FreeBSD is far from over. Packaging kde5 for FreeBSD was done pretty well. Right now, I'm seeing a mix of 5 and 6... and making an educated guess that specifying dependencies correctly within the Ports framework is still a work in progress.

… kde5 conflicts …

From Adriaan de Groot's post, under <https://euroquis.nl/kde/2024/03/10/freebsd.html#co-installability>:

For testing it would be great to have KDE Plasma 5 and Plasma 6 installed at the same time, so it is easy to switch between the two.Short answer: it ain’t gonna happen. 𠈶…

In other words: most such conflicts are to be expected, will not be fixed.

Do not expect concurrent running, run either 5 or 6 during the transition period.

I should encourage testing sooner rather than later.

With methodical use of ZFS boot environments, disruption should be minimal when reactivating an environment with Plasma 5.

An example of minimal disruption: Konsole toolbars. Hidden with kde5, visible with kde6-devel, no longer hidden with the subsequent boot of an environment with 5.

Attachments

• 1710309745439.png
    1710309745439.png
    184.6 KB · Views: 66
I don't expect concurrent running, but going by the install log posted earlier, it really looks like parts of 5 will get pulled in as dependencies when installing 6... I'm basically looking for a way to have a clean install of 6. I do see attempts to uninstall packages that belong to 5.

I guess one way to do a clean install of 6 is to spin up a VM with bare Xorg, and try to compile your way into a clean 6 install, saying no to pulling in ports that belong to 5... or, as grahamperrin points out, methodically using ZFS boot environments...

Recent updates are packaged for latest (at least, for 15.0-CURRENT).

Installed to a new boot environment (1500017-18-kde6), tested. Not noticeably improved, from my point of view, so I'm back to 5 for now.

Attachments

• 1500017-17-ports 1500017-18-kde6.txt
    64 KB · Views: 46
Back