Solved PKGs

Well, quoting the wrong part (which is the one about ports, these are the software distribution) is again such a case. Are you serious? My doubts are growing.

That is understandable and logical.

MrX86 Everything you said is common between other open source operating systems.
Their kernel has different licenses.
All of them are supported by donations and companies use their source code. (based on you said on "Business networks" thread).

And of course base includes some 3rd-party software as well, so it can't be stricly only BSD-licensed, but keeping troublesome licenses (especially GPL of course) out is enforced and there were painful cleanup activities regarding this. It's also the reason git can never be part of base.

I guess many here thought that Base runs completely under the BSD license
I find it wrong to declare inquiries about this as trolling and stubid

MrX86 you were asking about packages (aka ports). Not about base. "Shifting the goalpost" is another typical troll-move. I don't claim it's intentional trolling as I really can't know, but it is silly.

Regarding base, it's as simple as that: ALL code written by the FreeBSD project itself is BSD-licensed. Still you can't create a full self-contained OS out of thin air, so there will always be some third-party code included as well (just start with for example the compiler, a crucial part for any self-contained open source OS, and again, if you expect an OS project to start writing their own compiler first, that's just silly).

What FreeBSD still does is keeping stuff with "problematic" licenses out of base. Companies using (and modifying) FreeBSD for their (commercial) products approve.

if you expect an OS project to start writing their own compiler first, that's just silly).
Indeed, even NeXTSTEP and macOS used GCC for decades and as we might imagine, Apple is not a fan of sharing happiness or freedom with their licenses.

Now for FreeBSD, a free project without the resources of something like Apple, it is even less feasible to build everything in-house.

In many ways this pragmatic approach is a great strength. Otherwise the viral effect of the GPL really will start to bleed us dry as they can take our "permissive" stuff but we wouldn't be able to even use theirs.

Back