Solved pkg not very robust?

I started with a fresh install of PC-BSD 10.2 and it failed to automatically update the installed packages. The GUI updater kept failing with some problem in the logs about chroot /.updateStage /.freebsd-up.sh after taking ages to download and uninstall, then reinstall most of 898 packages!

So I looked in some forums and found a suggestion to try pkg upgrade pkg at the command line and then letting the GUI updater try again.

The operation was a success but the patient is dead: It completed w/o error, said I needed to reboot and now Xorg no longer starts?!

I didn't customize anything...I just let PC-BSD do its thing after freshly installing the latest 10.2 release.

pkg doing all of this uninstalling/installing large numbers of packages doesn't seem very efficient...I mean, I could see if I were attempting major updates to a heavily customized system, but this is the latest release version.

I tried PC-BSD b/c I didn't want to have to download a huge DE with pkg, which has never worked well for me on FreeBSD: it always messes things up somehow if I try to install/update anything big.

This is on a Thinkpad X201 i7 with 6GB of RAM. Hardware support is great: wifi, Fn keys, sound, Xorg had been working perfectly until I used pkg to update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't PC-BSD have its own automatic update system? You should probably use that. I know that last time I used it had its own thing (PBIs and an automated installer). Maybe pkg is messing with the way PC-BSD installs things (actually that was poorly phrased, it sounds like the other way arround and PCBSD messing with the way pkg installs things).

PC-BSD uses pkg(8) quite differently and uses boot environments and does updates as a full download/reinstall of all packages. The best source of information is going to be through PC-BSD forums on this topic.

Doesn't PC-BSD have its own automatic update system? You should probably use that. I know that last time I used it had its own thing (PBIs and an automated installer). Maybe pkg is messing with the way PC-BSD installs things (actually that was poorly phrased, it sounds like the other way arround and PCBSD messing with the way pkg installs things).

Sorry I did not make this clearer: the reason I am asking here is that PC-BSD GUI update manager (and the PC-BSD command line updater pc-updatemanager) would not work, the log beginning with pkg updating 1.5.X-->1.6.X and the last command in the log showing some problem entering a chroot environment. Many complained about update failing but there was no suggested fix except first updating pkg with pkg, not using pc-updatemanager or the GUI.

btw, after waiting long enough to have tea, the PC-BSD Xorg configuration utility eventually popped up and I was able to choose the correct display. I think Xorg was choking on setting the wacky netbook resolution. Not sure why it didn't do this the first time around.

Thanks anyway; I always hesitate before posting to FreeBSD forums about PC-BSD, but the quality is usually much better over here.

Actually, I think I can live without the DE bells and whistles. ZFS root is nice, but dealing with the PC-BSD's strangely hacked KDE desktop and package managers within package managers (Frank Herbert joke) feels a lot like the bad old 199x days when every Linux DE was a patchwork. I'm considering starting over with FreeBSD 10.2 and building up from the command line after all.

Back