pkg in iso format

Hi newbie here.

I was wondering if there is a way to get packages in an iso format? Where I can download and store the iso locally and install from the iso!

I am learning unix and installing on oracle virtualbox trying different things and doing reinstalls of FreeBSD when I mess things up :rolleyes:.
Have a limited download, installing packages all the time from the repository is chewing into my download.

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.2R/announce.html:
dvd1
This contains everything necessary to install the base FreeBSD operating system, the documentation, debugging distribution sets, and a small set of pre-built packages aimed at getting a graphical workstation up and running. It also supports booting into a "livefs" based rescue mode. This should be all you need if you can burn and use DVD-sized media.

You can pick the one relevant to your architecture here. Obviously these are RELEASE- packages.

Also note that if you've been downloading packages again and again, you can grab them from pkg's cache for later use. pkg.conf(5):
PKG_CACHEDIR: string
Specifies the cache directory for packages. Default: /var/cache/pkg

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.2R/announce.html:

You can pick the one relevant to your architecture here. Obviously these are RELEASE- packages.

Also note that if you've been downloading packages again and again, you can grab them from pkg's cache for later use. pkg.conf(5):

Thank you , I did download and burn the 11.2R dic1 iso, which I have been using to do the re-installs of FreeBSD in my VM. I was not aware that other packages were included. I thought extra packages had to be downloaded from the FreeBSD repository.

I will download and burn the dvd iso.

I eventually did an install of gnome, but haven't been able to figure how to get it to start.
Big learning curve.
I edited /etc/rc.conf and /etc/fstab as per the handbook page for gnome. I had expected to launch into a gui. Did I skip a step by completing the rc.conf edit it one edit.
Should I have done a reboot before doing the "gdm_enable" and the "gnome_enable"?

Of course this all disappears when the "installed system" gets screwed.
As this is all very early in my learning curve I haven't figured how to get this from the VM into a windows host file system for later use. In my to learn bucket list. :)

Services can be started and restarted without rebooting in almost all cases. Look here:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/configtuning-rcd.html
I went thru the procedure I thought was correct.

Code:
service gnome onestart
I get the following error
gnome does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d), or is not executable

I had a look in (/usr/local/etc/rc.d) and there is no reference to gnome there.
I guess somehow I botched the pkg install or something.
I have to rebuild the VM from the DVD iso I have downloaded. try try again.

I was not aware that other packages were included. I thought extra packages had to be downloaded from the FreeBSD repository.
Only in the dvd installation media. The disc1 and memstick ones have no packages. And as I said, you only have a relatively limited choice. After some time you'll want to update all your packages and that can only be achieved online.

I will download and burn the dvd iso.
Burning is not necessary. mdconfig(8) lets you create file-backed devices from both disk images (memstick) and ISO images (disc1 and dvd). These devices can then be mounted like any other device.

Back