Pkg download speed is too slow and download freezes very often...

pkg/packages download speed , not only it is slow ,sometimes too slow , but it has big delays after four or 5 packages
i tried also the eu server its a little/little better.
The download speed is unacceptable it gets too much time and when you have high speed internet and you have experienced downloading packages from ubuntu or Arch linux distros it seems like an eternity !!!
Also often it stops downloading doing i don't know what ! It really pisses me off !

What is wrong with the package speed? I can reach 2.x MB/s because i only have 2.4GHz but its fine for me.

but it has big delays after four or 5 packages

Maybe you have the same problem as me in the past?

In arch you can change the mirror, based on your region/country, etc in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlis. In FreeBSD pkg system will direct you to the nearest mirror, based on your GeoIP. Thus, comparing these two is not right.
Solution: Use VPN.

[EDIT/ I completely forgot about]: in ubuntu: I don't know how it works, I was under the impression ubuntu is being deprecated. Good to know it's still around.

when you have high speed internet
When I am using a good network (like at my university 1Gb upload and download when doing speed test with a 1Gb network card) I get at least 50Mb/s, when I am at home with fiber network I only get 2.5-6 Mb/s .

I'm talking about the speed of package downloading pkg install

When I am using a good network (like at my university 1Gb upload and download when doing speed test with a 1Gb network card) I get at least 50Mb/s, when I am at home with fiber network I only get 2.5-6 Mb/s .

Yes i guess i have the same problem maybe its ipv6 or something else ?

What is wrong with the package speed? I can reach 2.x MB/s because i only have 2.4GHz but its fine for me.

Maybe you have the same problem as me in the past?

Dear christhegeek,
I have the same problem from time to time. Then the speed is then between 10KB/s and 100kB/s. It has been worse weeks ago and getting seldom. It is not IPv6 and changing the mirror does not always help. Changing the access from http to https sometimes helped, but not reproducable. Now I am back to the default mirror which picks out a server according to the location. I live in Europe and I am directed to pkg0.nyi.FreeBSD.org. Right now I have re-installed a package to check the speed which is 500kB/s to 1.5MB/s which is fine for me.
If the speed is low I either interrupt that or let the update run and open a new terminal. Fortunately there is no need to watch the lines scrolling, especially when the speed is low.

I get what you are saying: I too found the overall speed of package downloads to be slightly slower than other platforms but for me, it was still fine. I updated frequently so never had large amounts of data to pull.

FreeBSD need more times to become compatible with your hardware.

I think I can sympathize with FreeBSD's developers.

If you don't like to use pkg then use ports. Downloading is fast but it still depends on your CPUs and how you like to live in the bleeding edge. But I love to live in the bleeding edge : D

Come on. Cheers up. Have you ever look in our FreeBSD handbook and wiki? When we compare it to other Linux wiki. It is excellent enough to make you understand your system and use FreeBSD very efficient. Arch wiki is a place to fix issues not a great resource to learn, Ubuntu Wiki have a worse quality than Gentoo, Arch, and Debian wiki so we don't need to talk here.

I am okay to stick with Windows for desktop and FreeBSD, Linux from scratch for learning. Also check out for Gentoo if you want to avoid systemd. Nothing is the best, but we find thing suitable with us. Everything have their downsides and good sides but when you can accept those downsides you will live in peaceful and you will find more interesting stuff around your life. And when it is suitable with us, it nearly perfect.

In the end, Linux for desktop still suck. And BSD great for server and hobbyist OS. As a young musician, I use "Windows for desktop btw".

Now let us this end this topic and let it die. FreeBSD's developers will improve pkg soon.

Regards.

Edit: After few months, I have done my FreeBSD handbook journey and fall in love with it what about you? Tell me after you have done it. ; )

Its not slighty slower its not only the download speed but the download process being paused for some reason doing nothing
I can bare with the configuration files but these delays in installing packages are killing me.

I get what you are saying: I too found the overall speed of package downloads to be slightly slower than other platforms but for me, it was still fine. I updated frequently so never had large amounts of data to pull.

I never had issues with stalled updates or anything. I just noticed a minor difference in download speeds compared, to say Arch Linux. Definitely not a deal breaker for me.

Back