pkg.conf is deprecated

Contents and location of wine.conf:

Code:
$ cd /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/
$ ls
FreeBSD.conf	wine.cert	wine.conf
$ more wine.conf
wine:
  URL:          http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/dbn/repos/wine/${ABI}/latest
  ENABLED:      yes
  MIRROR_TYPE:  HTTP
  PUBKEY:       /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/wine.cert
$

I have also backed up my old pkg.conf and placed pkg.conf.sample in its place. It should all be fine like that, I do not get any deprecated messages anymore. But as I posted before, the additional Wine repository is not taken into consideration.

The contents of the configuration file need to be enclosed in braces like this:

Code:
rdnzl: {
    url             : "file:///usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/stable10i386-default",
    enabled         : yes,
    signature_type  : "PUBKEY",
    pubkey          : "/usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/pkg.cert"
  }

Unfortunately pkg doesn't report the lack of braces as an error properly but ignores the file silently.

kpa said:
Unfortunately pkg doesn't report the lack of braces as an error properly but ignores the file silently.
That sounds like something worthy of being reported, either on the freebsd-ports@ mailing list or through a PR.

jrm said:
Running as root, I don't see the warning, but commands like sudo pkg version -Ivl'<' still display the warning shown in the first post of the thread.
This was driving me nuts. I checked and rechecked my configuration files, but I was still getting the error about PACKAGESITE being deprecated. Well, it turns out I had a PACKAGESITE environment variable. After unsetting it, all is well.

FYI, if you just installed 10.0-RELEASE, you won't be able to find any packages besides pkg until you run pkg update. :)

Hi,
I am facing this same issue. I was having issue with openssl ca certificates and was trying to resolve it and one of the sites asked me to setenv PACKAGESITE to setenv PACKAGESITE
ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/port ... le/Latest/ (I'm new to Unix AND FreeBSD) and then... this error.

I did not have pkg.cong in /usr/local/etc. I only had pkg.conf.sample I followed the steps in different forums and copied that same file to pkg.conf in the directory and copied FreeBSD.conf to /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos (I had to create /pkg/repos) and I DONOT see PACKAGESITE in any of these files but am still getting the error. I am obviously missing something here. Any suggestions?

For future searchers, note that my "PACKAGESITE is deprecated" error was hard to track down because I actually had PACKAGESITE defined as an environment variable in a forgotten shell profile!

Check both root and user profiles for wayward PACKAGESITE if you can't find it defined in any of your pkg.conf and kin.

Back