Solved pkg command for speed up?

Code:
pkg search . | awk '{print $1}' | grep ^gnome > mygnomes.txt
Verify if ok , and knowing installing these packages will not remove other packages.
Code:
cat mygnomes.txt
Edit the file to your needs, if ok,
Code:
cat mygnomes | xargs -I {} pkg install  -y {}

How about a simple # pkg install x11/gnome-shell ? This meta-package will install a lot of what you need.

Hi! Is there a command that installs all gnome packages?
similar to:

I find it difficult to write each of the packages
Doing something like this will not install all gnome packages. Only the ones with gnome in the name. You will likely miss things like gconf, dbus, etc.

A better option is probably to # pkg install gnome3-lite

Code:
pkg search . | awk '{print $1}' | grep ^gnome > mygnomes.txt
Verify if ok , and knowing installing these packages will not remove other packages.
Code:
cat mygnomes.txt
Edit the file to your needs, if ok,
Code:
cat mygnomes.txt | xargs -I {} pkg install  -y {}
Work like a charm! Thanks!

Note that x11/gnome3 and x11/gnome3-lite are so-called meta-ports. They don't install anything of their own, they're just a collection of dependencies on other ports/packages. Both will install a 'complete' Gnome 3 desktop, with the x11/gnome3-lite just installing the bare necessities. So that's without a bunch of additional applications (which themselves are often meta-ports too) like games/gnome-games or deskutils/gnome-utils.

Installing a meta-port is sort of like using groupinstall with yum for example.

Note that x11/gnome3 and x11/gnome3-lite are so-called meta-ports. They don't install anything of their own, they're just a collection of dependencies on other ports/packages. Both will install a 'complete' Gnome 3 desktop, with the x11/gnome3-lite just installing the bare necessities. So that's without a bunch of additional applications (which themselves are often meta-ports too) like games/gnome-games or deskutils/gnome-utils. Installing a meta-port is sort of like using groupinstall with yum for example.

Thanks! . Since gnome3 was removed from the packages, this is the only way I have found to have a "working" gnome desktop. But, have a bugs/errors/crashes... No icons for somes aps, error when open a file, etc...

As far as I can tell, Gnome 4 has not been ported to FreeBSD yet... There may be instructions (Nothing FreeBSD-specific, though!) on how to compile and configure it, but this is more than I'm willing to tackle at this time.

Since gnome3 was removed from the packages, this is the only way I have found to have a "working" gnome desktop. But, have a bugs/errors/crashes... No icons for somes aps, error when open a file, etc...
Why didn't you asked the real problem in the first place? I assumed you are trying to install all other 'gnome-*' named packages not included in the Gnome3 desktop, installed by one of the gnome3 meta-port packages. It didn't occurred to me you are trying to install a Gnome3 desktop from individual packages.

If meta-port x11/gnome3 is not available as package the better solution would have been to install package 'gnome3-lite' as kpedersen already mentioned in post #5 (as he also said, there are more packages involved in the Gnome3 desktop environment than only 'gnome-*' named packages), and install additional packages of a full 'gnome3' desktop.

Note: Former x11/gnome3-lite is a 'lite' named flavor beside a 'full' named flavor of x11/gnome3 since September 2020.

If you look at the x11/gnome3 ports Makefile there are run dependency lists of the 'lite' and 'full' flavors of 'gnome3'.

I would try, if absent, to install the other packages on the lists. Even if it's not obvious by package name, one of the missing packages pulled in dependencies might correct the "... bugs/errors/crashes..." you are experiencing. See lines
Code:
14  RUN_DEPENDS?=

49  .if ${FLAVOR} == "full"
50  RUN_DEPENDS+=

Or, as second, better option, delete all 'gnome-*' packages and start over installing 'gnome3-lite' + 'full' flavor gnome3 packages.

Back