`pkg clean` seems to remove all cached packages?

Hi all,

According to the manpage, the command pkg clean should only remove cached packages that are not the very latest.

What I seem to be getting is that it is removing everything, almost as if the -a (clear all) flag is being used.

So if I run:

Code:
# pkg fetch wget
# pkg clear
$ ls /var/cache/pkg | wc -l

>> 0

Is this the case for anyone else?

I am due that time of the year to do a complete grab of the 90gig repo and it takes so long on my connection that at least a couple of superfluous package revisions creep in ;)

If I remember correctly someone reported that before, I'm not sure if they submitted a PR for it.

What I seem to be getting is that it is removing everything, almost as if the -a (clear all) flag is being used.
That's basically what you're seeing, as if the -a option is applied. I've been able to reproduce it too, but since I always use pkg clean -a anyway I'm not bothered by it (I have a local repository thus no need for that cache).

If I remember correctly someone reported that before, I'm not sure if they submitted a PR for it.
I had a quick search in the forums before posting. I couldn't spot anything. I will see if I can track down the PR. Otherwise I will log one.

but since I always use pkg clean -a anyway I'm not bothered by it (I have a local repository thus no need for that cache).
Yeah, I am trying to grab a local repo at the moment. I tend to just have one big folder and then use pkg add <pkg>.tgz just like in the old pre-pkg-ng days. I don't suppose you can suggest a way of clearing out excess versions of some of these packages? I.e when you sync yours, how do you eliminate older package archives that are no longer useful (or referenced in the database)?

Currently I can only think of creating a full local repo (with database and all) and then doing *another* pkg fetch from that. Since that is unchanging (and a local disk), that should simply not transfer the excess versions and flush them out that way. It seems like a bit more work though.

You're not the only one seeing that behavior, but just like SirDice I typically add -a on the command.
I don't have a local repo, so the only use for the cache in my situation is if upgrading a package causes something else to get reinstalled.
I saw that this morning, libgltf needed to get reinstalled because upgrading something caused shared lib to change, but since I did pkg clean last time, libgltf package needed to get pulled down.
Yes, extra work/load on the network, but a tradeoff I'm willing to put up with.

Oh, "chromium" install is still talking about python2.7 :)

I am trying to grab a local repo at the moment. I tend to just have one big folder and then use pkg add <pkg>.tgz just like in the old pre-pkg-ng days. I don't suppose you can suggest a way of clearing out excess versions of some of these packages?
I was actually thinking of writing a "repocopy" like tool that would make it possible to easily copy the FreeBSD repositories locally (and keep it updated). But I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I.e when you sync yours, how do you eliminate older package archives that are no longer useful (or referenced in the database)?
Poudriere takes care of that; poudriere-pkgclean(8). On my servers I don't keep a locally cached copy, it just takes up space. So after every pkg(8) run I simply run pkg clean -a to clean it all up.

OK, so its a little naff but for now I will use the following to list the path of the packages in current repo:

$ sqlite3 /var/db/pkg/repo-FreeBSD.sqlite "SELECT path FROM packages"

All/double-conversion-3.1.5.19.txz
All/php73-pdo_pgsql-7.3.29.txz
All/nyancat-1.5.2,1.txz
All/wmsun-1.05,1.txz
All/p5-Text-WideChar-Util-0.171.txz
All/php74-pecl-xdebug-3.0.4.txz
All/dotdotpwn-3.0.2_2.txz
All/py38-django-sekizai-1.1.0_1.txz
All/p5-Log-Syslog-Constants-1.02.txz
All/p5-Perl6-Export-Attrs-0.000006.txz
All/php73-pdo_odbc-7.3.29.txz

And then I basically do a diff between this output and the ls (for the packages that may have obsolete versions).

A bit manual, but it will do for now.

Ah, that explains why it broke too. Because I definitely remember it working the way it's mentioned in the man pages.

On 13.0-RELEASE pkg clean is broken as it doesn't detect the latest version in the cache. I don't have CURRENT installation to test if it's working there.

On 13.0-RELEASE pkg clean is broken as it doesn't detect the latest version in the cache. I don't have CURRENT installation to test if it's working there.
All versions use the same pkg(8) version, so I expect it to be broken in the same way on all versions.

There are a few things slightly iffy with the pkg-fetch manpages.

The -U argument states that without it, if no write access to database, then updating the repo database is silently ignored. However if you try to do a pkg fetch as a normal user, it gives you an error and terminates. You have to run it with -U for it to work:

$ pkg fetch -U -o . -a

The good news though is that the database isn't updated, so I can grab all packages. Do an update, grab remaining packages and use that output to remove the few redundant ones.

Though now I am also quite tempted to try pkg 1.17.0 and avoid this faff ;)

I just deleted my 2GB of cache then looked up the what will happen if I do afterwards because I wasn't too worried about it, just got curious, then ran pkg update / upgrade, then found this post then looked up pkg fetch and it has the pkg fetch -u to
Code:
-u, --available-updates
                   Fetch all available updates for the currently installed
                   packages.
fetch all available updates to currently installed packages? which posed a question, why did't it download them on pkg upgrade if they are updates to to all installed packages then update them? that makes no since to me. BAD wording? maybe it sould state fetch all copies of currently install packages on the system?

Back