pkg autoremove removes wrong packages

I've noticed something in pkg autoremove's behavior that could potentially be a bug or unwanted behavior.
Yesterday I did pkg autoremove. These were the packages it then removed:
docbook, docbook-sgml, docbook-xml, docbook-xsl, iso8879, kf5-kdoctools, sdocbook-xml, xmlcatmgr, xmlcharent

I've only installed packages via pkg, and never installed custom builds or anything like that.
If I do pkg upgrade after this, the packages that have just been removed are reinstalled.

I did some research and found these things:

Docbook seems to have been a problem in the past when using autoremove. It shouldn't be removed.
What I'm wondering is if this is a bug in pkg, or can I somehow avoid this behavior of pkg?

What I'm wondering is if this is a bug in pkg, or can I somehow avoid this behavior of pkg?
You can set a package as "non-automatic", normally if packages are installed as a dependency of something they are marked as "automatic". pkg-autoremove(8) removes packages that are automatically installed and don't appear to be a dependency any more. For example, if you install package A and it has package B as a dependency, A is marked as "non-automatic" and B as "automatic". If you later on remove A then a pkg-autoremove(8) will remove B. To prevent this (if you really want to keep package B); pkg set -A0 packageB.

Code:
     -A 01, --automatic 01
                Set automatic flag for the package: 0 is not automatic, 1 is
                automatic.  This affects the operation of pkg-autoremove(8).
See pkg-set(8)

You can set a package as "non-automatic", normally if packages are installed as a dependency of something they are marked as "automatic". pkg-autoremove(8) removes packages that are automatically installed and don't appear to be a dependency any more. For example, if you install package A and it has package B as a dependency, A is marked as "non-automatic" and B as "automatic". If you later on remove A then a pkg-autoremove(8) will remove B. To prevent this (if you really want to keep package B); pkg set -A0 packageB.
Should I mark the problematic packages as 'not automatic' or should I leave it as it is? Can a future update of pkg fix the current problem or will the packages always be removed in the future when I run pkg autoremove?

It's possible a package has an incorrect dependency list. That can happen due to errors in the port for example. Then a dependency would be 'lost' and pkg-autoremove(8) would think it's OK to remove those, now unused, dependencies. If that dependency error gets fixed then the chain would be good again.

But most of the packages you listed seem like build dependencies to me. You don't need to have them around, only when building a port that requires them. It's possible they got erroneously dragged in at some point as run or library dependencies.

I would let pkg-autoremove(8) remove them. Then see if anything breaks.

Back