Solved Physical location of various FreeBSD pkg servers

So while doing a fresh install of 12.0, I noticed the installer now asks you which server you want to pull packages from. Nice, but it says "use one near you!", without telling you which ones are near you, with the exception of country of origin. Is that enough granularity? Will the system determine the package repository closest to me and use that one? I looked through the handbook and did a few searches but couldn't find a listing of which server (ftp1, ftp2, etc) is located where in the US.

Thanks in advance.

For installation files: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources-web.html
Doesn't seem to be a complete list though, I know for a fact that ftp://ftp.nl.freebsd.org works but isn't mentioned. As long as you don't live in Podunk, the main install server should be fine.

The pkg(8) repositories are mirrored but I believe it's mostly based on three regions, Americas, EMEA (Europe, Middle-East, Africa) and Asia. It's automatically selected, at the DNS level, based on your GeoIP.

Thanks SirDice - I just used the main install server and things have been fine. I thought they might do some kind of GeoIP lookup so that's good.

Back