[PHORONIX] FreeBSD Powering Open-Source Wearable Computing

The article title makes a so-far undocumented claim. Nothing of what the article links to confirms that it's based on FreeBSD. Therefore, you can't use the title as a source of information. It's a rumor at best. The article tries to validate its title by stating "Underneath the hood we found out Brilliant Service is using FreeBSD as the basis for its Viking OS platform.", but that's yet another undocumented claim. :(

The blog post you cite states it's BSD-based. BSD does not necessarily mean FreeBSD. It could very well be any of the other BSD variants. :) The claim is somewhat like stating that because something is based on GNU/Linux, it's Ubuntu Linux.

I'd love to see that these things are based on FreeBSD though, as it'd be awesome. But so far, nothing states so.

Hi

I admit that I was little hasty in my reply. And I totally misunderstood Savagedlight's post, really sorry about that. I thought the link to the article was broken, but actually the video on the article did not work.

With a little more searching I found this post on the GNUstep mailing list, where Johannes Lundberg writes they are considering Viking OS to be based on FreeBSD 10:

http://gnustep.8.n7.nabble.com/New-OS-to-use-gnustep-tp32948p32988.html

But of course this does still not proof it is actually based on FreeBSD :) For me it really does not matter so much which BSD it is based anyway, for I love them all ;)

Back