PF pf and ssh (FreeBSD 12.0)

Hi,

I am translating a pf script from OpenBSD to FreeBSD, my system is
FreeBSD xxxx 12.0-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p6 GENERIC amd64

I encountered an issue which I do not understand, in any case please excuse me for this newbie's question. What I "discovered" is that the following rule works

pass in quick log on $ext proto tcp from <auth> to $host port=22 keep state

while that one which was originally in my OpenBSD system

pass in quick log on $ext proto tcp from <auth> to $host port=22 modulate state

where $host is Y.Y.Y.Y, does not. When trying to ssh Y.Y.Y.Y, in the logs I see

00:00:00.129859 rule 10/0(match): pass in on igb0: X.X.X.X.35302 > Y.Y.Y.Y.22: Flags , seq 1109514304, win 29200, options [mss 1452,sackOK,TS val 564387639 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0

but finally it ends with "Connection timed out".

When the rule has the "keep state", the connection works fine, and the log entry is, probably as expected the same

00:00:01.285639 rule 10/0(match): pass in on igb0: X.X.X.X.35326 > Y.Y.Y.Y.22: Flags , seq 2599461406, win 29200, options [mss 1452,sackOK,TS val 564737097 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0

May you provide a hint, what is wrong with my setup?

Many thanks,

Dianthus

An update: it's a weird problem, since I found a linux system, which makes it possible to login into the protected server with the "modulate state" flag.

Actually, I tested the following combinations in different networks and two internal servers

a host in networkA -> serverA ("keep state" works AND "modulate state" works)
a host in networkA -> serverB ("keep state" works, "modulate state" does not work)
a host in networkB -> serverA ("keep state" works, "modulate state" does not work)
a host in networkB -> serverB ("keep state" works, "modulate state" does not work)

I upgraded the FreeBSD system to the most recent set of updates, now it shows up as FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p7 GENERIC amd64.

All machines are Linux hosts with up to date ssh.

what is wrong with my setup?
There may be nothing wrong. From pf():
Note that modulated connections will not recover when the state table is
lost (firewall reboot, flushing the state table, etc...). pf(4) will not
be able to infer a connection again after the state table flushes the
connection's modulator. When the state is lost, the connection may be
left dangling until the respective endpoints time out the connection.

Thank you, but I still do not understand why new connections cannot be initiated with the "modulate state" flag. It is not always about recovering from a prior connection. My problem is that completely fresh ssh connections, initiated also after flushing pf states or starting the filter after reboot, do not work.

I have never experienced this with any version of OpenBSD, and I have no clue, besides I should perhaps try this on the earlier version of FreeBSD (11.X). If it is a bug, it maybe is related to a non-standard hardware, which is Jetway NF592-Q170 motherboard with 8 Ethernet slots.

Back