pf and kernel

Hi, i have problem when update 8.0 release. My custom kernel is replaced with new from update. And than don't have pf. How to have custom kernel and pf after update?

What do you mean you don't have pf? If your custom kernel has been replaced by GENERIC, then pf should be there as it has been included by default as a loadable module since 5.3.
Are you sure you didn't overwrite /etc/rc.conf during the upgrade thus removing the pf_enable="YES" entry?

Freebsd-update only works with GENERIC. But as Beastie already mentioned you can load pf as a module.

If you want to do an upgrade with a custom kernel you will need to do it from source. It really isn't that difficult, it only takes a little time.

I add pf and altq in custom kernel but update back to GENERIC. How to load as a module? Yes i have in rc.conf but without custom don't work.

I forget i use patch for network driver also. Maybe is only solution to build from source? Where to download updated source for kernel?

Most people update the source using csup(1). This handbook page is about cvsup, and csup is exactly like it.

You can update it using freebsd-update(8). Check the components in freebsd-update.conf(5).

And if you already have disc1 from the ftp, you can extract it from there. In the disc/ISO, cd to the directory that looks like this one and execute # ./install.sh all.

The pf module is loaded like all other modules: # kldload pf.ko. You then need to start it with # /etc/rc.d/pf start. Make sure you have a valid pf.conf file (in /etc by default).
Check the handbook for more information.

But when i compile with source from disk or ftp and after that update with freebsd-update kernel is back to generic. Is there a way to download new kernel source who is patched and after that to build customise kernel.

gigs said:
But when i compile with source from disk or ftp and after that update with freebsd-update kernel is back to generic.
Yes, freebsd-update only works with GENERIC.

Is there a way to download new kernel source who is patched and after that to build customise kernel.
Yes, see the handbook on compiling a custom kernel.

You can load pf as a module (it will be loaded automatically) but the module doesn't have ALTQ enabled. To get both pf and ALTQ you really need to compile a custom kernel.

But when i compile with source from disk or ftp and after that update with freebsd-update kernel is back to generic.
I happened no time to me but there is a trick you can keep both happy (freebsd-update and you).

Keep a generic kernel in boot and don't touch it so you even have a supported fallback

layout of /boot
Code:
/boot/GENERIC  -> original generic kernel (maybe without *.symbols files to save space)
/boot/kernel -> your custom kernel

Now freebsd-update will update only the GENERIC kernel and the sources if available.

I have
Code:
src world kernel
.Should i just add src/base and src/sys? I don't like to mistake first time with update and miss something.

'src' is all sources, so you won't miss anything. It's just a few hundred MB anyway.

The
Code:
src world kernel
is default conf file. I try with freebsd-update but update only base with patches don't update source files.

I don't use freebsd-update myself, but you might try StrictComponents=yes. The explanation in the manual is a bit muddled, but it seems to suggest that the source code is only updated when it is actually present to begin with. The default setting of 'no' won't update stuff that's not there, so my conclusion would be that setting it to 'yes' will update stuff whether it's there or not. Try, at least.

csup(8) with tag=RELENG_8_0 should give you sources for FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE @ current patchlevel. See examples in /usr/share/examples/cvsup.

If you decide to get the sources this way, you could try running freebsd-update again once the sources are downloaded, to see if it acts on them.

I will try cvs on old computer with release. Maybe is easy and fast way to download STABLE snapshot and use source from disk? Can i lose something if i go to stable?

You will lose the ability to use freebsd-update. Once you go bl... ehm .. once you start compiling STABLE from source, you'll have to keep doing it. With RELEASE you might still be able to move back to freebsd-update.

Is this ok
Code:
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8_0
? Only this and
Code:
*default delete use-rel-suffix
i don't understand very well.

[cmd=]*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8_0[/cmd] is correct

[cmd=]*default delete use-rel-suffix[/cmd] is also explained in the handbook, it all looks good from where I'm sitting.

Just use src-all only.

Note that csup is preferred over cvsup.

I use binary update and after that use cvs with tag=RELENG_8_0 and compile kernel. But after that binary update again update and overwrite customise kernel.

Sorry,i am totally confused. I thought that if download source from cvs and compile kernel, than after i can use freebsd-update without overwrite custome kernel. Is there anyway to compile custom kernel and use freebsd-update after that?

Back