PDF Readers & Editors

dd_ff_bb

I'm not looking for an argument
No worries i know, i was just kidding... :cool:

I'm just looking for usable info

i wish i had the answer. I don't have to use office suite(s) that much for my job, mostly i'm on the other side of things.

That's why i wrote couple of tiny scripts to generate files (invoices,proposals, reports etc...) in different formats (csv, pdf, doc etc...) that i require.

richardtoohey2

Aspiring Daemon

If using PHP fpdf and https://www.setasign.com/products/fpdi/about/ - but think you might be talking more about GUI/CLI rather than programming?

bakul

Not quite what was asked for but this may be of interest: https://www.zotero.org/support/pdf_reader_preview

1. A PDF reader built directly into Zotero
  2. A new tabbed interface
  3. A powerful new note editor
  4. A new “Add Note” button in the Zotero plugins for Word, LibreOffice, and Google Docs
Together, these features let you open a PDF in a tab right in the main Zotero window, clean up metadata for the parent item while viewing the PDF, add highlights and notes, drag individual annotations to a note or create a new note from all of the item's annotations, cite other items right in the note using the familiar citation dialog, and, when you're ready, click a button to insert the entire note into your word processor, where you can continue working on your document with active Zotero citations.

Note sure if this will work in linux emulation. Source is available but probably not easy to port.

hruodr

Aspiring Daemon

BTW, xpdf / xpdf3 installs in /usr/local/libexec/xpdf/ some commands identical to the ones of poppler-utils.

hardworkingnewbie

Wishful thinking, I wondered whether Wine would run the offline installer for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (2021.005.20060). Not so.

<https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/a...atDC/2100520060/AcroRdrDC2100520060_en_US.exe> (183 MB).

WineHQ - Adobe Reader – latest rating Garbage.
Adobe Reader is just a ghastly ressource hog. If I have to use Windows, I use Sumatra PDF instead. Opensource, only around 7 MB download and also reads ePub, MOBI and many other stuff as well.

kpedersen

Son of Beastie

Adobe Reader is just a ghastly ressource hog. If I have to use Windows, I use Sumatra PDF instead.
Yep, at the very least the older versions of Acrobat Pro were a little lighter in memory (and actually work with Wine).

In general Adobe products do suffer from terrible bloat over the years (and of course no real addition of functionality).

hruodr

Aspiring Daemon

In general Adobe products do suffer from terrible bloat over the years (and of course no real addition of functionality).
The invention by adobe of postscript was a great addition of functionality!

fernandel

Daemon

Adobe Reader is just a ghastly ressource hog. If I have to use Windows, I use Sumatra PDF instead. Opensource, only around 7 MB download and also reads ePub, MOBI and many other stuff as well.
When I worked in research we used Adobe Reader/Writer and Prism on Apple computers. There were very rare Windows computers.

kpedersen

Son of Beastie

The invention by adobe of postscript was a great addition of functionality!
Exactly. They pretty much should have stopped there.

... in 1984 ;)

Obviously being a little dramatic but can you really say that Acrobat Reader from today has added so much more functionality compared to two decades ago (Acrobat 6?) as to warrant a 1+gig RAM and disk requirement? It is slightly mad in my opinion.

Where my partner works (a publishers), they all still use Acrobat Pro 9 in a Windows XP VM on VMware Fusion because it actually has *more* functionality than today.

astyle

Daemon

Exactly. They pretty much should have stopped there.

... in 1984 ;)

Obviously being a little dramatic but can you really say that Acrobat Reader from today has added so much more functionality compared to two decades ago (Acrobat 6?) as to warrant a 1+gig RAM and disk requirement? It is slightly mad in my opinion.

Where my partner works (a publishers), they all still use Acrobat Pro 9 in a Windows XP VM on VMware Fusion because it actually has *more* functionality than today.
Actually, most of the functionality moved behind a paywall to Adobe Creative Cloud, and the bloat on localhost is just the code that Adobe had to come up with to enforce the licenses and protect their revenue stream. ;)

kpedersen

Son of Beastie

Actually, most of the functionality moved behind a paywall to Adobe Creative Cloud, and the bloat on localhost is just the code that Adobe had to come up with to enforce the licenses and protect their revenue stream. ;)
Yep. I certainly agree with that observation!

astyle

Daemon