[PC-BSD] Help installing the HipChat Linux client

Hi all,

(Mods, I wasn't sure where to start this - if there's a better spot please move the thread. Thanks!)

I'm trying to get the HipChat Linux client working on PC-BSD (I've started a thread in the PC-BSD forums, but I'm hoping someone here may be able to help, too). I'm running into some problems with it and I haven't been able to make any progress with it.
  1. I've downloaded the most recent 32 bit Linux client and expanded the tar per their instructions on the download page [1].
  2. Code:
    > ./bin/hipchat 
    zsh: ./bin/hipchat: bad interpreter: /bin/bash: no such file or directory
  3. I edit bin/hipchat's
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    to
    Code:
    #!/usr/local/bin/bash
  4. (now the real fun starts)
  5. After editing the file, I try to run it again:
    Code:
    > ./bin/hipchat 
    ./bin/hipchat: error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
  6. I can't figure out how to get a 32 bit libltdl.so.7 at all, so I install 32 bit FreeBSD 9.2 in VirtualBox, build /usr/ports/devel/libltdl, and then scp the resulting binary over to my PC-BSD install.
  7. I copy it into ~/src/HipChat/lib/ and ...
  8. Code:
    > ./bin/hipchat 
    ./bin/hipchat: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/home/bridger/src/HipChat/bin/..//lib/libltdl.so.7: ELF file OS ABI invalid
  9. After doing some reading, I try to brandelf libltdl, but that doesn't quite work, either:
    Code:
    > sudo brandelf -t Linux lib/libltdl.so.7
    Password:
    > ./bin/hipchat 
    ./bin/hipchat: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/home/bridger/src/HipChat/bin/..//lib/libltdl.so.7: ELF file OS ABI invalid
Any thoughts as to next steps?
Thanks!

[1] https://www.hipchat.com/downloads

I can't figure out how to get a 32 bit libltdl.so.7 at all, so I install 32 bit FreeBSD 9.2 in VirtualBox, build /usr/ports/devel/libltdl, and then scp the resulting binary over to my PC-BSD install.
A 32bit binary package will run on a 64bit system only when the relevant libraries have been properly shared and linked. That's why your 32-bit binary is not working. An example you can look through is emulators/wine vs. emulators/i386-wine. They are basically the same port, the only difference being that the library linkage for the latter has been corrected for 64bit systems.

In this case it's most likely looking for a /compat/linux/lib/libltdl.so.7, not a FreeBSD native libltdl.

In this case it's most likely looking for a /compat/linux/lib/libltdl.so.7
Ah.. I missed the "Linux" bit in the post.
In that case, OP is better off looking into how rpm packages (Redhat Linux) are installed to the /compat/linux layer. Unfortunately, the Linux compat layer is considerably lagging in updates, so @CanOfBees will have to look for older rpm's.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can not use FreeBSD native libraries with Linux binaries and vice versa. Also you'll have a hard time installing anything that requires a C/C++ compiler that can produce Linux binaries during the installation. All of the Linux ports in FreeBSD work on the assumption that the compilation has already been done on a real Linux system and the ports just install pre-compiled binaries.

SirDice said:
In this case it's most likely looking for a /compat/linux/lib/libltdl.so.7, not a FreeBSD native libltdl.
@SirDice - thank you for clarifying that.

Beeblebrox said:
Ah.. I missed the "Linux" bit in the post.
In that case, OP is better of looking into how rpm packages (redhat linux) are installed and into the /compat/linux layer. Unfortunately, the linux compat layer is considerably lagging in update, so @CanOfBees will have to look for older rpm's.
@Beeblebrox - thanks so much! I'll take a look for older rpm's for HipChat and libltdl.so.7.

kpa said:
You can not use FreeBSD native libraries with Linux binaries and vice versa. Also you'll have a hard time installing anything that requires a C/C++ compiler that can produce Linux binaries during the installation. All of the Linux ports in FreeBSD work on the assumption that the compilation has already been done on a real Linux system and the ports just install pre-compiled binaries.
@kpa - thanks! That's good to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember also that you can use HipChat with any Jabber/XMPP client. Do not know if it is feasible in your case, just thought I would mention it :)

Back