Patch Level for 7.1

I recently ran 'freebsd-update fetch' to check for any updates to Release 7.1 for i386. It said that nothing was needed to get me to 7.1-RELEASE-p5. But, when I run 'uname -a' it says that I'm at FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p4. Does anyone know why uname isn't reporting p5?

Here is the output from freebsd-update and uname:

Code:
# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 6 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 7.1-RELEASE from update3.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 7.1-RELEASE-p5.

# uname -a
FreeBSD compaq.home 7.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Sun Mar 22 12:35:36 UTC 2009     root@i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Patch level is only updated when the kernel is updated (uname queries the currently running kernel). If the kernel doesn't get updated, then the patch level never changes, even if other apps, libs, or whatnot get updated.

Just install the downloaded patches via command "freebsd-update install". After you restarted the server, you will see the desired information.

Here is my customized-kernel FreeBSD 7.1 in 32 bit mode.

wqpbsd# uname -a
FreeBSD wqpbsd.test.com 7.1-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p5 #0: Mon May 4 20:51:51 CST 2009 root@wqpbsd.test.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PFALTQ i386
wqpbsd#

Did you read the Release Announcement?

Copy and paste from the announcement:

The freebsd-update(8) utility supports binary upgrades of i386 and amd64 systems running earlier FreeBSD releases. Systems running 7.0-RELEASE, 7.1-RELEASE, 7.2-BETA, 7.2-RC1, or 7.2-RC2 can upgrade as follows:

# freebsd-update upgrade -r 7.2-RELEASE

During this process, FreeBSD Update may ask the user to help by merging some configuration files or by confirming that the automatically performed merging was done correctly.

# freebsd-update install

The system must be rebooted with the newly installed kernel before continuing.

# shutdown -r now

After rebooting, freebsd-update needs to be run again to install the new userland components, and the system needs to be rebooted again:

# freebsd-update install
# shutdown -r now

Users of earlier FreeBSD releases (FreeBSD 6.x) can also use freebsd-update to upgrade to FreeBSD 7.2, but will be prompted to rebuild all third-party applications (e.g., anything installed from the ports tree) after the second invocation of "freebsd-update install", in order to handle differences in the system libraries between FreeBSD 6.x and FreeBSD 7.x.

wuqingping said:
Just install the downloaded patches via command "freebsd-update install". After you restarted the server, you will see the desired information.

Here is my customized-kernel FreeBSD 7.1 in 32 bit mode.

wqpbsd# uname -a
FreeBSD wqpbsd.test.com 7.1-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p5 #0: Mon May 4 20:51:51 CST 2009 root@wqpbsd.test.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PFALTQ i386
wqpbsd#

With a custom kernel you can't use freebsd-update. The freebsd-update tool is used to fetch, install, and rollback binary updates to the FreeBSD base system.

For custom kernels you need to use csup instead.

Anyways have a look at Chapter 24 Updating and Upgrading FreeBSD

Back