MATE Password for Mate desktop expired

I am running FBSD 13.0 (release-n244733, April 2021), with Mate desktop. Due to circumstances I haven't used the system for some time and I think my user password has expired, as I can no longer open the desktop with my last known password.

How can I now get access to the Mate desktop?

Thank you in advance

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
User passwords don't expire. At least not by default. And there's no "MATE user password", it's your user account.

zirias@

Developer
Accounts never expire, passwords only expire if explicitly configured that way (not by default). If you didn't do that, I'd look for the more common reasons: Password forgotten, wrong keyboard layout, caps lock enabled, ...

When I confirm my new password in single user mode the system does not ask me for my existing password as expected & reports ;
pam chauthtok(): Error in service module

further help please. Thanks

This site says there are as many as 9 reasons why this error might occur.
/https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-bsd-osx-passwd-pam_chauthtok-error-in-service-module/

I didn't have success there. Checks I tried there seemed to be saying my drive was not mounted. So I mounted it. But whenever I tried to reboot with the mount the reboot struggled to find it even though I had quoted it for remount repair.
If I can't get further help I will have to take the last resort of reinstalling the OS. I don't really want to do this because of the work involved.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, the answer is blatantly obvious, pay attention during the upgrade. Because sometimes new accounts and/or new groups are added. And if you don't pay attention you will destroy your current users and groups.

No, the answer is blatantly obvious, pay attention during the upgrade. Because sometimes new accounts and/or new groups are added. And if you don't pay attention you will destroy your current users and groups.
Blatantly obvious! Not to me. Please explain why new accounts etc should interfere with existing users & groups? That seems counter intuitive to lesser beings. And why only sometimes?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please explain why new accounts etc should interfere with existing users & groups?
When you update that new user/group gets merged into your existing user database. When things go sideways you end up with a default user/group database, one that doesn't include all the users/groups that were added since initial install. Think users/groups that are created by installing ports/packages for example, or the ones you added yourself (your own user account for example). No account means you can't login.

And why only sometimes?
Not all major/minor upgrades include new base users/groups that need adding. Thus, not all upgrades have this risk.

When you update that new user/group gets merged into your existing user database. When things go sideways you end up with a default user/group database, one that doesn't include all the users/groups that were added since initial install. Think users/groups that are created by installing ports/packages for example, or the ones you added yourself (your own user account for example). No account means you can't login.

Not all major/minor upgrades include new base users/groups that need adding. Thus, not all upgrades have this risk.
I didn't add any new users or groups so it seems likely that the problem lies elswwhere. As a result I have to dead computers.
Is there a debug script I can use to find out what the problem is?

When I confirm my new password in single user mode the system does not ask me for my existing password as expected & reports ;
pam chauthtok(): Error in service module
Have you mounted the file system read-write in single-user mode before executing passwd(1)? When the system is booted into single-user mode the file system is mounted read-only (this can be verifyed by executing mount without options). If the file system wasn't mounted read-write, then the error message is printed because of that.

To set the password for the user you don't need to boot into single-user mode necessarily, just boot normal and change into a virtual terminal (assuming there is a login manager running, Ctrl + Alt + F5 for example), and log in as root.

If you insist on single-user mode, before setting a password for the user, mount the file system read-write, execute

when UFS2: mount -uw /,

when ZFS: zfs readonly=off zroot/ROOT/default.

Have you mounted the file system read-write in single-user mode before executing passwd(1)? When the system is booted into single-user mode the file system is mounted read-only (this can be verifyed by executing mount without options). If the file system wasn't mounted read-write, then the error message is printed because of that.

To set the password for the user you don't need to boot into single-user mode necessarily, just boot normal and change into a virtual terminal (assuming there is a login manager running, Ctrl + Alt + F5 for example), and log in as root.

If you insist on single-user mode, before setting a password for the user, mount the file system read-write, execute

when UFS2: mount -uw /,

when ZFS: zfs readonly=off zroot/ROOT/default.
Thanks for your help.
I removed the original user & home group, & added an new user/group & executed mount -uw / so I am a little further on but my Mate desktop advises that it fails to execute the new group & password.
Is this a Mate rather than a BSD misconfiguration. How could I rectify this?