Solved Package versioning almost-match - should I worry?

On freshports.org, I see:
- python3, python35, python36, python37, python38
- py-dateutil, with a py37-dateutil flavor.

So I know that I can:
pkg install python3 py-dateutil
but I'll get Python 3.8 but a dateutil 3.7.

Is that a problem? If not, how can I validate that there isn't - did the package maintainer validate and document that somewhere, or do I have to go to python.org and check how dateutil may have changed?

Background:
I know that Python modules tend to be interoperable.
I am trying to find the right trade-off between keeping the number of moving parts down (i.e. stick with just FreeBSD packages instead of adding virtualenv and installing up-to-date python packages which I'd have to checksum-validate and keep up-to-date myself), or having to check one more source of potential incompatibilities.

Hm... not sure what happened. I have taken notes and they say I got 3.8.1, but maybe I picked python38 instead of python during pkg install.

I guess that means that package maintainers are giving me the following options:
  • pkg install python3 py-dateutil and any Python module packages I select will be for whatever is the standard for Python 3 (3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 3.whatever in the future).
  • pkg install python38 and I use virtualenv and pip install to get the Python 3.8 modules.
Is that correct, or am I making wrong assumptions?

I would suggest just sticking to whatever version is set as the default. That will give you the least amount of problems.

I don't know why there is no 3.8 flavor of devel/py-dateutil though. Maybe the maintainer just hasn't had the time yet. Maybe there are other reasons. You can always email a maintainer and ask.

Other reasons, very likely - if it were just "not done yet", there be versions of py-dateutil for Python 3.6 and 3.5.
But yeah I'll stick with the default. I already consider myself lucky that I don't need any Python modules besides those that already come in pkg format, that eliminates the need to have a C compiler and the need to download (and monitor) direct Python module updates, I'm offloading that task to the package maintainers... erm, working off the great work that the FreeBSD team is doing for me and an awesome number of other people (thanks for that, in case any of them is reading).

Back