Solved Package upgrade broke KDE

I was upgrading packages so I could install a new web browser. I have already dealt with problems today from upgrading the system itself and also dealt with the usual problems of slow web browsing slowing down my life.

Now after the package upgrade there is a black screen when logging into KDE. I can start krunner with alt-F2 and then start konsole and then I noticed there is no window manager running so when I run kwin_x11 I see the error:
ld.elf.so.1 shared object "libkdecorations2private.so.7" not found, required by "kwin_x11"

I have tried to fix with:
sudo pkg upgrade -f plasma5-kdecoration
but the problem remains.

There are also no further packages available to upgrade.

I did not attempt this upgrade lightly. I would have stayed with what I have if the web browsing situation was not so dire. The choice was between not using e-commerce sites or doing internet research or fighting with upgrade issues and I chose to fight with upgrade issues.

1. Refrain from starting the desktop environment
  2. as root
  3. pkg upgrade -f
  4. restart the OS.
If that does not resolve the issue, please tell whether you use quarterly or latest.

pkg -vv | grep url

libkdecorations2private.so.7

It's not currently provided by any package for FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT:

Code:
% pkg provides libkdecorations2private.so.7
% freebsd-version -kru
14.0-CURRENT
14.0-CURRENT
14.0-CURRENT
% uname -aKU
FreeBSD mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #112 main-n249988-2c614481fd5: Sun Oct 10 21:42:16 BST 2021     root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC-NODEBUG  amd64 1400036 1400036
%

Also, not currently provided by any latest package for FreeBSD 12.2⋯:

1635020382761.png

Running pkg upgrade again fixed it. Kwin was one of the only items updated. Very weird. I am not sure how this happened because I know I ran it more than once. The new desktop wallpaper looks great.

(Edited)
Quarterly = 5.22.5
Latest = 5.23.1

I have each one installed using pkgs and they work okay.

If the above suggestions didn't work, you could try upgrading to latest by adding the file /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}
... then running pkg upgrade again.

Back