Solved Over 45 minutes for twm windows to appear!

Just over a week ago I downloaded and built Xorg-7.7_3 on FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE r366954 GENERIC. The hardware is a MacBook Air mid 2013.

When I log into a non-administrator account (a member of the video and wheel groups) and execute "startx", the normal CLI goes away and just a thin streak of red shows up at the top of the screen, horizontally occupying the quadrant of the screen just to the right of center. I wonder whether that is an ASCII representation of Beastie that is squished vertically.

With no particular action on my part, after 17 1/2 minutes, the red streak goes away and two small white images appear on a black background: a rectangle in the upper left of the screen occupying the area of a single character, and the standard mouse pointer in the center of the screen. Typing on the keyboard or moving and clicking the mouse have no apparent effect.

After another 30 minutes, some live xterms and an xclock show up.

Apparently, X11 isn't configured properly. What can be done to speed things up?

1.) Did you add dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf? 2.) Check for potential errors the Xorg log file. (/var/log/Xorg.0.log)

1) Yes. That line is in /etc/rc.conf. "ps -auxww" yields a line:"messagebus 927 0.0 0.1 12512 3452 - Is 08:17 0:00.00 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --system"

2) The only error in the whole file (plus a few surrounding lines):

Code:
[  3106.829] (II) Initializing extension GLX
[  3106.872] (EE) AIGLX error: Calling driver entry point failed
[  3107.174] (II) IGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
[  3107.174] (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0

I should mention that "kern.vty=vt" has been added to /boot/loader.conf, and the port graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod has been built and installed.

The problem may be solved now! Taking a cue from here and and adding the line

Code:
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"

to /etc/rc.conf, then, after a reboot, the windows pop up right away after startx is executed. In addition xrandr doesn't lock things up hard.

You don't need that, vt(4) is the default VTY and has been for quite a while.
SirDice, thank you for that.

There are numerous sets of instructions on how to configure X11 and for a newbie who hasn't been tracking the subject, it's hard to know what is out of date and what isn't.

Back