[OT] who remembers that old formula one arcade game?

Ok, this is very not-Unix related, but maybe someone here remembers an old arcade game I was used to play when I was young: there was a car seat and three white Formula One cars made with a light projector on a rolling tape that was simulating the track. I remember the car having two speeds. Anybody has a clue?

If the description is anything to go by I think it's an arcade game from before they were computer based. Sounds a lot like something mechanical with maybe some discrete logic.

fluca1978 said:
Ok, this is very not-Unix related, but maybe someone here remembers an old arcade game I was used to play when I was young: there was a car seat and three white Formula One cars made with a light projector on a rolling tape that was simulating the track. I remember the car having two speeds. Anybody has a clue?

I had a handheld version of that! Loved it! Used to take it on car trips all the time back in the 80s/90s. Used a couple of C or D batteries.

Mine had two separate tapes, one for each lane, with cars and boulders as obstacles. Each lane ran at separate speeds, and had items placed at different intervals, so you had to have good timing. An actual steering wheel to manoeuvre the car, and a gear shift to choose your speed (low was the same speed as the right lane; high was faster than both lanes). And a cool red explosion light with great sound effects. :)

Ah the memories.

Oh, wait, you're talking about an actual full-scale arcade game?

phoenix said:
I had a handheld version of that! Loved it! Used to take it on car trips all the time back in the 80s/90s. Used a couple of C or D batteries.

Mine had two separate tapes, one for each lane, with cars and boulders as obstacles. Each lane ran at separate speeds, and had items placed at different intervals, so you had to have good timing. An actual steering wheel to manoeuvre the car, and a gear shift to choose your speed (low was the same speed as the right lane; high was faster than both lanes). And a cool red explosion light with great sound effects. :)

Ah the memories.

Oh, wait, you're talking about an actual full-scale arcade game?

Yes, I was talking about the full size game, where the user has to sit down in the car and has the steering wheel, accelerator and speed controller. Now that you point me to, I remember having seen a portable version too. Do you remember the name of the game or have some photo/information of the full size one?

I don't find any reference in the history Wikipedia page, but I remember me and my dad challenging on pole position on the C-64! But this is another history.

fluca1978 said:
Yes, I was talking about the full size game, where the user has to sit down in the car and has the steering wheel, accelerator and speed controller. Now that you point me to, I remember having seen a portable version too. Do you remember the name of the game or have some photo/information of the full size one?

Hah, I just found it online in the Handheld Museum! It's called Digital Derby and is from the 70s. Best garage sale find ever. I played that thing to bits. Literally. :)

phoenix said:
Hah, I just found it online in the Handheld Museum! It's called Digital Derby and is from the 70s. Best garage sale find ever. I played that thing to bits. Literally. :)

Yes, that's the portable version I've seen. A friend of mine had it and I was jealous!

pboehmer said:
OK, I think I have it... Is it Chicago Coin's 1975 Speedway?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTLEKGDQ1BE

No, it is not. That's using a digital monitor, while the one I'm referring to is using a track belt. Moreover, the one I'm referring to had the car seat so the boy was playing sit down. However, the game design is really close to speed race.

vermaden said:
I also remember playing some Formula 1 game on my ATARI 2600 VCS, but dunno what's its name ;)

Pole Position was boring, Pit Stop (and Pit Stop 2) was way better. Played them on my brother's Atari 130XE a lot way back then :).
Great American Cross Country Race was one of my favorite when it comes to "wheels".

Unfortunately I've no idea about the game OP is asking.

Back