OSNEWS: Google Hints at HTML5 Video Version of YouTube

Drive off a cliff, rave about a "big W", and kick the bucket.

Yes, please. I have been quite consistent in slagging off flash since sometime around 1999, & I have been praying for its death quite fervently all the while. Hopefully this is the shot that does the trick.

Also, if Adobe itself follows the example of Jimmy Durante at the beginning of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World I shall be much pleased.

On a related note, I was glad to see that Youtube is killing off support for IE6. That should help get people off of that crippling browser.

Beastie said:
This came as a surprise. But it's a good one. I hope they'll listen to their users.

HTML5 FTW.

HTML5 FTW... Thanks Beastie, that would have summed up my post for this thread haha �e

Nah, that's a bad start.

It's not working on Opera either even though Presto has just as much HTML5 support as Gecko.

I bet it doesn't even work on WebKit/Chrome.

The Daily Motion test page works only for Firefox. What the hell? It seems they're trying their best to duplicate the Flash mess, hmm.

Pushrod said:
On a related note, I was glad to see that Youtube is killing off support for IE6. That should help get people off of that crippling browser.
Yes. So now they can use IE7 and IE8 instead, muhahaha.

Beastie said:
The Daily Motion test page works only for Firefox. What the hell? It seems they're trying their best to duplicate the Flash mess, hmm.
I'm sure it's just an early adoption issue. :)

Open-Source JavaScript Flash Player (HTML5/SVG)

Someone has gone and done it. Tobias Schneider has created a Flash player written in JavaScript targeting SVG/HTML5-capable browsers. It's not a complete implementation yet, but it shows real promise. A few demos have been posted online. How long before HTML5/SVG next-generation browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Epiphany, and other Web-Kit based browsers completely supplant Flash and Silverlight/Moonlight?

YouTube begins experimental HTML5 support!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-10438578-248.html
YouTube on Wednesday announced that it's finally going live with support for HTML5 video.
The only browsers that are currently supported include Google Chrome, Apple's Safari, and Internet Explorer with the Chrome frame installed. Not included on the list are Opera or Mozilla's Firefox, despite the fact that recent versions of both browsers work with the HTML5 video spec.

Along with the browser limitations, watching YouTube videos in HTML5 mode requires that the videos being watched are free of ads, user-created captions and annotations.

Beastie said:
Yes. So now they can use IE7 and IE8 instead, muhahaha.

At least IE7 and IE8 are much better than IE6. IE6 gave me nightmares a few years ago when I was learning web design. CSS support was just horrible.

The problem is the codec. HTML5 doesn't specify the codec to be used with the video tag, leading to a situation where everybody's debating either Theora or h264. Theora supposedly isn't as good as h264 (note the supposedly, I hear conflicting statements on that one), but h264 is a licensing nightmare, so not all browsers support it. Chrome and Safari both do, but Firefox and Opera only support Theora. Since the original feature request stressed using open standards (i.e., Theora), Google still has some way to go.

source: http://www.osnews.com/story/22771/YouTube_Launches_HTML5_Beta_Forgets_the_Open_Part

Does anyone know exactly what the licensing restrictions behind h.264 are, specifically in the case of OSS?

I'm hoping h.264 goes the way of the GIF file format... empty threats and eventual patent expiry.

Google betas Flash-free YouTube sans open codec
"Useless with Firefox and Opera"

As you may or may not expect, the player does not embrace the open and license free Ogg Theora codec. Announced yesterday on the YouTube blog, it sticks with H.264, the same video codec used by the current version of YouTube. Among other things, this means it will not work with Opera or Firefox.

Back