OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device

Hello,

Trying to install Django on my RPi 2 gives me the following error. Can anyone help me to resolve this problem? I'm running FreeBSD on a 32GB SD card.

Many thanks.

Code:
FreeBSD rpi2 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r298793: Sat Apr 30 06:39:54 UTC 2016

$ dfc -T

FILESYSTEM             TYPE    (=) USED      FREE (-) %USED AVAILABLE     TOTAL MOUNTED ON

/dev/ufs/rootfs        ufs     [===-----------------]   11%     25.1G     28.3G /

devfs                  devfs   [====================]  100%        0B      1.0K /dev

/dev/msdosfs/MSDOSBOOT msdosfs [===-----------------]   15%     42.6M     49.9M /boot/msdos

tmpfs                  tmpfs   [=====---------------]   21%     23.7M     30.0M /tmp

$ pip3 install Django==1.9.6

Collecting Django==1.9.6

Downloading Django-1.9.6-py2.py3-none-any.whl (6.6MB)

100% |################################| 6.6MB 8.6kB/s

Exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 215, in main

OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device

Pip uses /tmp during building and installing. You have tmpfs(5) mounted on /tmp which has about 23 MB of free space which isn't enough for installing Django (it requires approx. 50MB of space).

I see three ways out of this
  1. either increase the space allocated for /tmp with tmpfs' size option,
  2. or don't use tmpfs(5) at all. You have plenty of space on the root partition.
  3. or override the directory pip uses for temp. files with: env TMPDIR=/wherever/there/is/enough/space pip3 install Django==1.9.6.

Many thanks, tobik, for your swift reply. I decided to disable tmpfs. I was then able to successfully install Django.

Code:
$ dfc -T

FILESYSTEM             TYPE    (=) USED      FREE (-) %USED AVAILABLE     TOTAL MOUNTED ON 

/dev/ufs/rootfs        ufs     [===-----------------]   11%     25.1G     28.3G /

devfs                  devfs   [====================]  100%        0B      1.0K /dev

/dev/msdosfs/MSDOSBOOT msdosfs [===-----------------]   15%     42.6M     49.9M /boot/msdos

$ sudo pip3 install Django==1.9.6

Password:

Collecting Django==1.9.6

Using cached Django-1.9.6-py2.py3-none-any.whl

Installing collected packages: Django

Successfully installed Django-1.9.6

I've read that disabling tmpfs increases wear on the SD card. Is it a good idea to disable tmpfs or to increase the size?

Thanks to wblock@ for pointing out the existence of Django packages.

The whole building process would put a strain on the card, that's for sure. Lots of writes/deletes which does indeed increase wear. If you're worried about that there's a way to build ARM packages for your Pi on an AMD64/i386 machine. It's somewhat slow but still faster than doing it on the Pi itself and you won't wear anything out ;)

Back