Solved Optical Drive not Working

Hi,

My Thinkpad is running FreeBSD 12.2p4. The internal DVD player doesnot respond. I push the button on the DVD player, but it does not eject. I have to use a paper clip.

I do not see a /dev/cd...
Code:
$ ls /dev
acpi                    ctty                    hpet0                   music0                  stdin@                  ttyv9
ada0                    cuau2                   input/                  netdump                 stdout@                 ttyva
ada0p1                  cuau2.init              io                      netmap                  sysmouse                ttyvb
ada0p2                  cuau2.lock              kbd0@                   nfslock                 tcp_log                 ufssuspend
ada0p3                  devctl                  kbd1@                   null                    ttyu2                   ugen0.1@
apm                     devctl2                 kbdmux0                 pass0                   ttyu2.init              ugen1.1@
apmctl                  devstat                 klog                    pass1                   ttyu2.lock              ugen1.2@
atkbd0                  dri/                    kmem                    pci                     ttyv0                   ugen2.1@
audit                   drm/                    led/                    psm0                    ttyv1                   ugen2.2@
auditpipe               enc@n3061686369656d30/  log@                    pts/                    ttyv2                   uinput
aux/                    fb0                     mdctl                   random                  ttyv3                   urandom@
bpf                     fd/                     mem                     reroot/                 ttyv4                   usb/
bpf0@                   fido                    midistat                sequencer0              ttyv5                   usbctl
bpsm0                   full                    mixer0                  ses0                    ttyv6                   xpt0
console                 geom.ctl                mixer1                  sndstat                 ttyv7                   zero
consolectl              gpt/                    mixer2                  stderr@                 ttyv8

dmesg also shows nothing for cd.
Code:
$ dmesg |grep cd

How do I make the DVD player work?

This really does not sound like a software issue. But for completeness, you could have a look at camcontrol devlist.

This really does not sound like a software issue. But for completeness, you could have a look at camcontrol devlist.
Code:
 $ camcontrol devlist
<KINGSTON SA400S37240G SBFKJ4.3>   at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)
<AHCI SGPIO Enclosure 2.00 0001>   at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (ses0,pass1)

I push the button on the DVD player, but it does not eject. I have to use a paper clip.
It's not getting power. The eject button would work even if there's no driver attached to it. The camcontrol(8) output isn't showing anything either, which is to be expected if the unit is turned off.

It's not getting power. The eject button would work even if there's no driver attached to it. The camcontrol(8) output isn't showing anything either, which is to be expected if the unit is turned off.
How do I turn it ON? It is an internal DVD drive in a laptop. I looked thru the BIOS, and I dont see anything about DVD or CD drive.

If it doesn't get power (which is indeed the most likely problem here): Open your laptop and look for the cause…

You can of course try some other "live system" from a USB stick (e.g. some Linux) to verify first. I wouldn't expect a working drive that way though.

[rant]I hate the growing tendency of OSes to lock the drive door, just for "saving" the user from "trouble" if they decide to remove a disc.
This can lead to the drive staying locked until hard reset, some even need power cycling to get unlocked again.[/rant].
So I would just try turning off and on and then watch what dmesg says.

Okay. I took a second look at the BIOS. I look more carefully this time.
And, I see that under Security in the BIOS, the Optical Drive was disabled.
I must have disabled it awhile back (trying to reduce power consumption and battery life).

After I enable it. DVD drive is working now!

Code:
$ camcontrol devlist

<KINGSTON SA400S37240G SBFKJ4.3>   at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)
<HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU90N LU20>       at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass1)
<AHCI SGPIO Enclosure 2.00 0001>   at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (ses0,pass2)

Back