Opera 11 Alpha

Just installed to test it.
It looks much more stable then current version in ports:
* they fixed ~ in x11 dialogues, so now ~/src works as supposed
* I clicked "Closed tabs" button few times and it didn't crash :)
* x11 open/save still sux, but 1% less

Currently I have no problem. Btw, I'm posting this post using opera 11 alpha

Also downloaded and tired it, works far better then 10.6x, AT LAST FONTS ARE RENDERED CORRECTLY, I was using Opera 10.10 because of that fonts issue.

Crashes if You want to disable SPEED DIAL, but generally works quite stable as for alpha.

Just note:
backup your ~/.opera before you try it, otherwise you will face problems when running opera you installed from ports

Heck I thought my server was hacked because of this (Opera wasn't displaying any of my server sites), later I noticed, that it wasn't displaying some other sites as well (deleting cache didn't help)

luckily I'm using zfSnap, so I copied .opera since my last reboot :D

Only problem I'm having so far is getting it to recognize the flash plugin. It pulls in all the other ones. Just not that one.

killasmurf86 said:
Just note:
backup your ~/.opera before you try it, otherwise you will face problems when running opera you installed from ports

Strange, I unpacked new Opera 11 into that dir: ~/tmp/opera.11/ (binary is here: ~/tmp/opera.11/opera) and it does not use my current ~/.opera/ profie but new clean from here: ~/tmp/opera.11/profile

I installed to ~/.local also and it created a ~/.opera-11.00 directory instead of using the ~/.opera directory.

During the install script I specified that I wanted 11.00 appended to the installations to avoid the problem you have. I forget the specific wording of that question.

Install You say ...

That would explain A LOT since I did not installed it, I just unpacked provided *.tar.bz2 and use it right away, that way You have new profile in that unpacked directory. Works very well that way and You can remove it with single rm -r -f ~/tmp/opera.11 command ;)

Since they wrote a new installer I've been using it on all the alphas and betas since the 10.5 or 10.6, Before those releases I did it that way also.

Sites still not working well with it?

A minority of sites have usability problems with opera. Anyone care to check this latest release with http://www.sce.com/outage (an atypical example). ?? BTW probably fixed with a switch from "author mode " to "user mode"

Carpetsmoker said:
You *do* use ASP.NET ... That doesn't work in your favor ...

My lunacy is heighten! I just found and article on using Python as the script interpreter in ASP code. I will now surreptitiously replace all java code with python!!!

jb_fvwm2 said:
A minority of sites have usability problems with opera. Anyone care to check this latest release with http://www.sce.com/outage (an atypical example). ?? BTW probably fixed with a switch from "author mode " to "user mode"
Another example, midwayusa-dot-com ... Not very convenient to shop there with Opera unless one switches to User Mode. I had lost the usermode-authormode toggle button on a toolbar during a recent few crashes. (Another version of opera still retained it, on the same machine. I could not find out how.) Solved by unchecking all the toolbars, and adding the seven-or-so toolbars one-by-one until one appeared that could be configured with the dialogs to show the toggle. It currently has 1...the author-mode/usermode button 2... a fit-to-width button which I JUST discovered during this reconfiguration, and is very useful for wide-width forum pages, 3... a no images-show images toggle button 4... the page magnification number shown. FYI I now have that conf backed up with only 3 files AFAIK:
operaprefs.ini, fontswitch.ini, and .opera/toolbar/standard_toolbar.ini
(the toolbar in question is either the tab bar, address bar, or status bar.)

I just went to both http://www.sce.com/outage and midwayusa.com and both look fine to me. The sce site seems to be right justified and have a hard length set which gives it a odd look if you maximized opera (at least on 1280x1024). But this isn't exactly an Opera problem it a problem with the author designing for IE specifically.

Midwayusa I was able to goes as far as one can with out actually purchasing the manual case trimmer and everything looked fine.

Back