OpenVPN vs The Handbook way

I've been tasked with creating a VPN between two networks. Initially I pulled up the handbook and followed the instructions, and got everything working up until the part about IPSec. It appears that I simply can't get ipsec-tools to work since it can't find the nat transversal option - Which I did patch in and build with option IPSEC_NAT_T into the kernel.

But reading this forum I picked up on Openvpn and I have to say that's looking pretty good right now considering the headaches I'm going through. I'm rather hesitant to just abandon the method which is recommended in the handbook for a port, but I was wondering if anyone else had any experiences with Openvpn or any advise over which solution they've had better luck with.

Actually, I highly recommend net/vtun. It's far simpler than OpenVPN to setup and maintain, doesn't require generating SSL certificates, and has all the important features one needs for creating a VPN between two unix systems, including encryption, compression, and MSS fixup.

Also, if you don't need encryption or anything fancy, and have static IPs on both ends of the link, you can just use FreeBSD's builtin nos-tun(8). It doesn't get simpler than that.

Back