OpenCDE first try! I am stuck

sk8harddiefast said:
OpenCDE first try! I am stack
It's "stuck". The stack is something else. ;)

sk8harddiefast said:
3) Any link for .xpm icons? CDE recognize other icons formats?
Why don't you write them yourself? It's very easy.
The most important values are in the first few lines, specifically the width, height and number of colors ; a single character per pixel is usually enough, e.g. "32 32 3 1" gives you a 32x32 icon using 3 colors.
Then you define colors (as many as you set in the above line) using any character, e.g. "0 c #FF0000" means all characters 0 will give you red pixels.
Then the rest is nothing more than ASCII art using the color characters you defined before.
Wikipedia has a good description.

Alternatively you can take any image/icon and convert it into XPM using graphics/ImageMagick's convert tool or any serious image manipulation software such as graphics/gimp-app.

I can't help with your other questions sorry.

1) Whilst OpenCDE does have settings, it currently has no GUI applications to edit them, so it is all plain text config files. Have a look in $HOME/.opencde/dtpanel/menus.ini for the Dtpanel config file. It is a basic (albeit 3D) .ini file which should be quite easy to understand.
Customizing such as colors, borders, fonts are all done via .Xdefaults. Though the resource strings are not quite documented yet.

2) The menu is going to be autogenerated (from the dtpanel's menus) but I haven't gotten round to finishing it yet since I need to spend time on University dissertation.

3) As Beastie correctly said, .xpm files are easy to write, though yeah, you might want to use GIMP to create your own custom ones rather than... vi ;)
Also, the OpenCDE project has "burrowed" many from the original CDE and can be found in /usr/local/share/opencde/icons so you might not have to create any yourself.

Formats supported are .xpm, .pm, .bm and any other format that Xlibs Pixmap code can import.

Much of OpenCDE is not finished yet, for example the wireless network application and the file manager. If you have any specific OpenCDE questions, perhaps the OpenCDE forums might be better able to help you.

You can't go wrong with OpenCDE, been using it since the first usable release, it's fantastic. ;)

Back