OpenBSD or FreeBSD? Ideas?

NewGuy said:
OpenBSD is primarily designed to be secure and.... that's about it. Really good for firewalls and such, I suppose, but it really isn't designed to be the general OS/server that FreeBSD is.

OpenBSD is a good OS for desktop and server. I'm currently running OpenBSD 5.3 on one of my boxes with XFce 4.10.

I would actually prefer to use freebsd FreeBSD for Sparc64, because I think the freebsd FreeBSD community is more helpful, but I simply cannot get X.Org, or anything like this to install on a freebsd FreeBSD 9.1 system, Sparc64, Sun Blade 100. But all this works out of the box with openbsd OpenBSD, why is this? pkg_add -r xorg will not work on freebsd FreeBSD, for Sparc64, but with openbsd OpenBSD, it is already installed with the installer.

Most OpenBSD developers runs OpenBSD everyday as a main system. Rumors says, FreeBSD developers - MAC OS. See the difference (emphasis on rumors and MAC OS)?

CoTones said:
Most OpenBSD devs runs OpenBSD everyday as a main system. Rumors says, FreeBSD devs - MAC OS.
See the difference ( emphasis on rumors and MAC OS )?
This not not true. Think about it. Those developers who want to- and need to if a job requires such- run MacOSX, can.

CoTones said:
Most OpenBSD devs runs OpenBSD everyday as a main system. Rumors says, FreeBSD devs - MAC OS.
See the difference ( emphasis on rumors and MAC OS )?

You are not the only one who has said this, I remembered hearing it somewhere else.

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=5070#post33574

I don't know if this is some *BSD rivalry banter or something or if FreeBSD developers are just more partial to iTunes whilst they are hacking on ZFS, VirtualBox and DTrace ;)

Back