[Openbox] my openbox autostart wont work

This is my autostart.sh I see my wallpaper I saved with nitrogen, but it gets covered up by this green leaf default wallpaper. Conky doesn't even bother to show up nor tint2.

Code:
# Run the system wide support stuff
. $GLOBALAUTOSTART

# Programs to launch at startup
nitrogen --restore &

(sleep 2s && tint2) &
(sleep 3s && conky -c ~/.conkyrc) &

Are you using Nautilus as a file manager? The green leaf sounds like the gnome background?

If you are using nautilus you have to start it like this

Code:
nautilus --no-desktop --browser

I haven't installed nautilus unless it was dragged in as a dependency of another program. I didn't want to use it. I'll give it a shot!

No it is not. The background just sounds like the default gnome background that is a common of that happening. If your aren't using nautilus what I wrote wont help.

I never used nitrogen, but check it config file if that is what is setting you background.

I made it worse

I tried adding the nautilus information even though you advised against it and I ended up locking openbox. Meaning the "X" mouse pointer came back from the default Xorg display and thunar opened up upon log in. The "right-click" menu didn't work. My Root login uses Xfce and I thought of getting rid of it and going openbox on both profiles. I changed my .xinitrc to
Code:
exec openbox-session
and made an autostart.sh for root.
Rebooted.

Now X wont start and it asks me to specify a shell. The default sh or csh won't let me do anything.

I think I'll end this thread because I believe I caused a problem bigger than just Openbox configuration.

Would I call this Solved or just Finished?

manblue said:
Now X wont start and it asks me to specify a shell. The default sh or csh won't let me do anything.

If you are getting a prompt to specify a shell, this isn't X. You most likely rebooted incorrectly, that what this sound like and fsck couldn't do it work. You can just hit enter and fsck manually. After that you should be good to go.

Thanks Roddierod. I punked out and reinstalled. I hadn't done much and had just installed a few weeks ago. I will use my forum entries as a manual on how I pushed through the problems of the last install. After searching around for answers I might just give this "FVWM" a shot. Rest assured I will be back with startx questions and further down the road, Flash.

Till next time

Back