open gl screensavers

A

Anonymous

I have KDE 3.5.10 on FreeBSD 7.2 and I start to use GNOME 2.26 now.
On KDE 3.5 I have long time problem with open gl screensavers: they don't work but in GNOME is not a problem. Each one works.

What should be wrong with the KDE?

Thanks.

Mitja
-----
http://starikarp.redbubble.com

"don't work" isn't very descriptive... Exactly how don't they work? Does the screensaver never start? Does the screensaver start, but the screen simply goes black? Do the screensavers start, but run really slowly?

Adam

adamk said:
"don't work" isn't very descriptive... Exactly how don't they work? Does the screensaver never start? Does the screensaver start, but the screen simply goes black? Do the screensavers start, but run really slowly?

Adam

it never start. Also when I click on Preview button, nothing happened.
This problem is just with open gl screensavers. And as I wrote before in GNOME works without problem.

For me this usually happens when the GLX module is Xorg's instead of NVIDIA's (I always have to remind myself to reinstall the NVIDIA drivers after something in Xorg was updated).

Code:
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

That's the wrong one, no OpenGL screensavers and 'no preview available' ;)
Code:
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

That'll do it.

So could it be that 'something' pushed a GLX driver aside?

DutchDaemon said:
For me this usually happens when the GLX module is Xorg's instead of NVIDIA's (I always have to remind myself to reinstall the NVIDIA drivers after something in Xorg was updated).

Code:

That's the wrong one, no OpenGL screensavers and 'no preview available' ;)

Well it's only the wrong one if you are using an nvidia video card :)

Adam

Just thought I'd point out an alternate route. The same may go for ATI or other cards, because Xorg's own glx does not play opengl screensavers afaik...

Actually, that's only the case for nvidia cards. All other drivers use Xorg's glx module. This discussion does, however, bring up a good point.

lumiwa, what video card do you have? While in KDE 3.5, what is the full output of 'glxinfo'?

adamk said:
Actually, that's only the case for nvidia cards. All other drivers use Xorg's glx module. This discussion does, however, bring up a good point.

lumiwa, what video card do you have? While in KDE 3.5, what is the full output of 'glxinfo'?

Ati Radeon 90000. If is Xorg a problem why I don't have problem with GNOME? All gl screensavers work.

lumiwa said:
Ati Radeon 90000. If is Xorg a problem why I don't have problem with GNOME? All gl screensavers work.

That's what we're trying to find out.

/usr/local/bin/xscreensaver-hacks/cube21 is one of the opengl screensavers that KDE 3.5 uses. Does it work if you start it manually from a terminal in KDE 3.5?

adamk said:
That's what we're trying to find out.

/usr/local/bin/xscreensaver-hacks/cube21 is one of the opengl screensavers that KDE 3.5 uses. Does it work if you start it manually from a terminal in KDE 3.5?

Thanks for the help. I am not at home now. When I came I will try.

In the Xorg.log I have:

Code:
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
	compiled for 1.6.1, module version = 1.0.0
	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0

If I run a screensaver in the terminal it works.

And more: Fireworks 3D (GL) works but other no. There are StarWars in the Banners & Pictures which doesn't work. But, I forgot how long ago, it did work.

It sounds to me like there is something screwy with your KDE3 installation or configuration. I tested it here earlier in the day and the opengl screensavers did run just fine in KDE3. If you create a new user, or move your ~/.kde directory out of the way and then log back in to KDE3, do the opengl screensavers work?

Adam

adamk said:
It sounds to me like there is something screwy with your KDE3 installation or configuration. I tested it here earlier in the day and the opengl screensavers did run just fine in KDE3. If you create a new user, or move your ~/.kde directory out of the way and then log back in to KDE3, do the opengl screensavers work?

Adam

Idid try with the other user also with the root and it doesn't work.

Back