One installation gives me 2 boot options?

H,
Today I added a new SSD hard drive, WD black SN770, to a Windows worksatation and installed FreeBSD 13.1 on this hard drive. When I reboot the computer and press hotkey F11 to select bootable devices, there it shows 3 boot options. Please see attached pic. The 1st one is Windows. I tried both 2nd and 3rd, and it looks to me they are the same FreeBSD system I just installed. My understanding is there should be only one FreeBSD option. Why are there two? Any explanation?

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 60
IIRC the installer places the EFI loader on the EFI partition under "/efi/freebsd/loader.efi" for all properly implemeted EFI-loaders to find as "FreeBSD" and additionally under "/efi/boot/bootx64.efi" for all broken ones that only know this static path...

The EFI partition should be mounted at /boot/efi, so you can take a look if those two paths exist. You *could* delete one of them, but why not just ignore the second entry?

as SKO stated too, you chould have used the same efi partition on your first drive for BSD on your second drive keeping them on in one place on install.

By “ignore the second entry”, you mean ignore “UEFI OS”, right?
What‘s the difference between choosing either one?

IIRC the installer places the EFI loader on the EFI partition under "/efi/freebsd/loader.efi" for all properly implemeted EFI-loaders to find as "FreeBSD" and additionally under "/efi/boot/bootx64.efi" for all broken ones that only know this static path...

The EFI partition should be mounted at /boot/efi, so you can take a look if those two paths exist. You *could* delete one of them, but why not just ignore the second entry?

with non-UEFI booting, you get a text-based Beastie head at the boot menu... with UEFI booting, you get a shiny-looking red ball for a Beastie head / logo. Makes it easier to tell the two apart. Beyond that, Google is your friend when looking for differences... For me, I had both instances, and it never really mattered to me which one I chose - in the end, FreeBSD booted OK...

Back