Old version, Intel Xeon X3430

I know that the forum is for new supported versions, but I am trying to save a perfectly good old server from the landfill and keep me from having to spend hundreds of dollars on new equipment.
I have downloaded ver 13 i386 which should be the 32 bit version. It loads on the server as a virtual machine but will not load from the USB stick. I was able to load Linux Mint from a USB and the BIOS recognizes the USB and offers it as an option under boot menu.

Any help would be appreciated even if it is to just confirm I have the right 32 bit version. A pointer to an older version that would be more likely to work would be great.

Thanks

CPU supports Intel 64, so just use a supported AMD64 version.

• Thanks
Reactions: gjl
Thanks, you're right. I had a bad download of the original ISO and mistook the load error for 32 bit vs 64. Bonehead move on my part. Running fine now.

That is a perfectly capable CPU even by today's standards and it doesn't require to do anything special WRT the FreeBSD install (unless you have some ultra-weird server hardware around it, but that is unlikely).

Capable in terms of CPU features perhaps, but otherwise not great. Power consumption might be an issue (depending on usage).

It is just a glorified early i7 with ECC support.

Idle power isn't as low as today's CPUs, but not higher than a desktop of the same year.

Back