Solved Old Intel NIC does not give me internet connection

I bought a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H-CF motherboard recently to replace an even older Asus motherboard. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z87X-UD3H-rev-1x/sp#sp After I was done I found the OS without internet connection. Currently a 12.1-STABLE is installed, but I want to install 12.2-STABLE instead. Should I build the kernel myself with an Intel driver, or do I need a kernel module, or what is the usual solution for this kind of problems? It is hard to do a pkg install for the kernel module without internet connection...

It was hard to find, but it appears that board has an Intel I217-V. Apparently that is supported in Freebsd by the em(4) driver. I don't have a machine with a network adapter that uses the em driver booted up at the moment, but that driver comes compiled into the default kernel if memory serves. Does grep -i intel /var/run/dmesg.boot return anything?

Currently a 12.1-STABLE is installed, but I want to install 12.2-STABLE instead.
I would suggest updating to /base/releng/12.2 instead. That will give you 12.2-RELEASE. Stick to the GENERIC kernel too, em(4) is already builtin. From that point onward you can use freebsd-update(8) to keep it updated.

Thanks! I'll install 12.2-RELEASE then and I'll check what pciconf writes. Maybe it loads the driver but there is some sort of issue with it. The NIC is ok, I have a Win7 on a different SSD and after installing the drivers from the manufacturers webpage it works. Without proper drivers it does not work by default on Windows either.

It was hard to find, but it appears that board has an Intel I217-V. Apparently that is supported in Freebsd by the em(4) driver. I don't have a machine with a network adapter that uses the em driver booted up at the moment, but that driver comes compiled into the default kernel if memory serves. Does grep -i intel /var/run/dmesg.boot return anything?
Yes it is Intel I217-V. With a fresh install it works. Probably the DHCP was not set on it.

Back