Odroid

ZFS would kill that little board too, don't you think?

I am assuming you are using UFS? I am using UFS/GPT and iSCSI target. I had tried SMB/CIFS but prefer iSCSI.

ZFS would kill that little board too, don't you think?

Oh yeah - about as flat as that North Carolina ribbon snake in the tire lane, that I noticed this morning on my walk.

On my droid, I'm just using the default BSD FS.

About that shipboard project - it sounds very interesting. I wonder if it's for small craft, or bigger? This thread is really drifting now (bad pun).

Got an ODROID C1+.

How did you start with FreeBSD on the Odroid?
Which image(s) can be used?
Have you tried cross-compiling arch ARM?

How far is development on eMMC?
Is there a visible TODO list devels are working on?

And, yes, I've seen the relevant pages on wiki.freebsd.org where you never know how uptodate they are.

Hi Getopt:

I don't think the FreeBSD Crochet port has been updated to build the Odroid C1 image yet, so you have to create one manually (using the wiki you referenced). Alternatively, you can get a prebuilt image of NAS4Free:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/nas4free/files/NAS4Free-ARM/10.2.0.2.2258/

The NAS4Free "build script" builds a kernel and minimal userland using the source tree (after including a few NAS oriented patches) - and then creates an image in a fashion similar to crochet. It's probably the only prebuilt image at this point, AFAIK ...

FreeBSD provides these images for ARM:

I hoped for a working shortcut using/modifying one of those images.

What does it take to add one for the ODROID-C1 too?

From the ARM wiki:

"Generally you need a copy of u-boot that has been customized and compiled for your particular chip and board."

You'd also need a kernel built for the particular chip and board, so I think you wouldn't gain much advantage by doing it the way you've suggested. It'd probably be easier just to do it from scratch.

Hi Guys,

Any news of an -XU3/4 port? I have 3 of these boards all ready and waiting to try BSD on .... I already have FreeNAS running on a spare box serving up media with Plex
and I am learning heaps already, especially the differences between BSD & Linux (which I have used for 20 yrs) ..

Maybe one of the existing ports (i.e the Arndale board) could serve as a base for the port?

Good Evening. I'm new to FreeBSD but am also interested in getting it up-and-running on the XU4. I'm new to porting OS's to various devices, but I'm trying to follow the rough guidelines laid out in a few places. Particularly:

Porting FreeBSD to a new ARM Board: https://www.bidouilliste.com/blog/2015/11/27/Porting-FreeBSD-to-a-new-ARM-Board-Part-1/

as well as the Odroid Wiki. The XU4 Hardkernel wiki page links to the XU3 page for the "UBoot" section, so these are probably the same process.

From what I've gathered from that page and this thread, the sticking points will be acquiring uboot and a unique Hardkernel bootloader for the XU4. U-boot seems to have support for the Exynos 5422. I'm not sure yet how to configure it properly yet.

In my Googling I just discovered this issue of "Odroid Magazine" from November 2015, which features an article "inside the Odroid Uboot Bootloader". Looks useful, especially for noobs like myself: http://www.mclibre.org/descargar/docs/revista-odroid/odroid-23-en-201511.pdf

I'll do it. Need a chance to read though. But I like freebsd too much to run linux on these. Especially since freebsd works so well on pi.

Some Odroid stuff has made it to FreeBSD11 since this thread started.
Check out this directory for the kernconf for the Odroid C1.
/usr/src/sys/arm/conf/

I know I didn't make it run.
From the DTS:
* Copyright (c) 2015 John Wehle <john@feith.com>

I don't see a u-boot ODROIDC1 port for FreeBSD. Only DTS and kernconf files.

Unfortunately NAS4Free pulled their ARM builds as they were not getting security updates.(Github BPi port still exists)
Using their Odroid u-boot port/patch would have worked. You can still find the old image and extract the compiled u-boot.

So actually Odroid C1 still needs manual patching up to run.
Same with the Tegra TK1. Kernel support exists but u-boot port does not.

Hi Guys ...
I'm trying to boot FreeBSD on ODRIOD-HC2, but so far unsuccessfully ...
Code:
U-Boot 2018.11 (Jan 10 2019 - 13:55:24 +0300) for ODROID-HC1/HC2

CPU:   Exynos5422 @ 800 MHz
Model: Odroid XU3 based on EXYNOS5422
Board: Odroid XU3 based on EXYNOS5422
Type:  hc1
DRAM:  2 GiB
MMC:   EXYNOS DWMMC: 0, EXYNOS DWMMC: 2
Loading Environment from MMC... Card did not respond to voltage select!
*** Warning - No block device, using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   No ethernet found.
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  2  1  0
MMC Device 1 not found
no mmc device at slot 1
Card did not respond to voltage select!
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc2 is current device
Scanning mmc 2:1...
Found EFI removable media binary efi/boot/bootarm.efi
libfdt fdt_check_header(): FDT_ERR_BADMAGIC
Card did not respond to voltage select!
Scanning disk mmc@12200000.blk...
Disk mmc@12200000.blk not ready
Scanning disk mmc@12220000.blk...
Found 3 disks
106292 bytes read in 14 ms (7.2 MiB/s)
libfdt fdt_check_header(): FDT_ERR_BADMAGIC
## Starting EFI application at 42000000 ...

>> FreeBSD EFI boot block
   Loader path: /boot/loader.efi

Initializing modules: ZFS UFS
   Load Path: /\efi\boot\bootarm.efi
   Load Device: /VenHw(e61d73b9-a384-4acc-aeab-82e828f3628b)/SD(2)/SD(0)/HD(1,0x01,0,0x81f,0xfff0)
   Probing 3 block devices.....* done
    ZFS found no pools
    UFS found 1 partition
Consoles: EFI console 
|/FreeBSD/arm EFI loader, Revision 1.1

Command line arguments: l
   EFI version: 2.70
   EFI Firmware: Das U-Boot (rev 8216.4352)
   Console: efi (0)
   Load Device: /VenHw(e61d73b9-a384-4acc-aeab-82e828f3628b)/SD(2)/SD(0)/HD(2,0x01,0,0x10c00,0x1bdc00)
Trying ESP: /VenHw(e61d73b9-a384-4acc-aeab-82e828f3628b)/SD(2)/SD(0)/HD(2,0x01,0,0x10c00,0x1bdc00)
Setting currdev to disk0p2:
Loading /boot/defaults/loader.conf
Loading Kernel and Modules (Ctrl-C to Abort)
/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x56a4e4 data=0x53274+0x5188c syms=[0x4+0x61480+0x4+0x847f2]
/boot/dtb/exynos5422-odroidhc1.dtb size=0xf112

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel] in 4 seconds...
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel] in 3 seconds...
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel] in 2 seconds...
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel] in 1 second...
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...               
Using DTB from loaded file '/boot/dtb/exynos5422-odroidhc1.dtb'.
Kernel entry at 0xae800180...
Kernel args: (null)
modulep: 0xc0716000
relocation_offset 0

Someone already tried it?

Back